Thread: Permissions

Question Unanswered: Permissions

I created a MS database in 2000. I wanted to make some changes to the system while on the go and transferred the database onto my laptop.When I try opening some forms and other objects from the database on the laptop with Windows XP and MS Office 2003, I am getting this error message: "You don't have permissions to run 'NameofForm'. To run this object, you must have Open/Run Permissions for it. For more information on permissions and you can set them, click Help". Presently I have no security implemented on the system whatsoever.

Any help or feedback would be greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by essence; 06-17-06 at 21:16.

Greets;

Just a thought, have you tried creating a new DB file and import all the items into it from the exsiting one? Structure and data.

This may bypass your issues.

Dan
    sometimes simple is best.... and i'm just a simple fellow.

Hey Dan,

Thanks for the response.

I created a new DB file and tried importing the objects. However, the following error message was displayed "You don't have permissions to import, export or link to 'ObjectName'. To import, export or link to this object you must have read design and read data permissions for it. For more information on permissions and who can set them click help." Therefore, I'm back to square one.

I also realised that the owner of my objects have been really messed up. Only about 4 objects are owned by Admin whereas for the rest, including the database itself, the owner is set to "unknown" and no changes are going through. Pretty strange!

Any comments?

I'm not sure, abput anything else. I hoped you'd be able to just import. Someone did post a message about how to over-ride Access workgroup security, (which in my opinion is a pain in the A**) , maybe worth a search on the forum???

Dan

I'll check it out Dan. Thanks much.

A similar thing happened to my work db when we switched over to a new environment - they changed the format of our logon names slightly and I just kept getting "you don't have read permission" on everything. In our case I was eventually able to get into the Workgroup Accounts and change the ID so it would recognize me as Admin again. Being new to this, it sure took a long time to figure out what the issue was.

Hi

Thanks to you both...Dan and Lungta. I returned to the original database, not the one copied to the laptop and navigated to security, user and group permissions. From there I was able to make the changes and I changed the owner from unknown to admin. However, these changes are not being saved and when I tranfer to the laptop again, the current owner becomes unknown. For the meanwhile, I'll just have to work on the original database and not copy the application on the laptop.

I think I tried this out half a day ago, you have to log in to your database as one of the admin, give all permissions to the users group

From there, you can import all the objects into a new db project
    Only quitters quit!

Just a thought - you might want to go into your Access settings on both computers and see if the default directory is the same. I've been transferring this db several times a week via different methods and noticed a huge change after one of the recent MS security updates/service packs was installed. Access databases became lots more problematic to copy/download, but if they went into the same directory on both it seemed to work better.

Ok folks. I tried it again. I changed the owner of all objects to 'Admin'. After which I imported all the tables, forms, reports, macros and modules into a new database and saved it as 'NewDb.mdb'. When I copied it to the laptop, I'm able to make edits to the objects...at least for the meantime til another problem pop up.

Thanks again.

Hey chuck;

if you get your db working good, and you want to avoid using the workgroup security, (which just causes grief) use the login system i developed and gave you.

Dan x

Dan,

Ok Dear, will do. The workgroup security seems a little sophisticated the first time I tried it out, but it ain't that difficult to get around. It is important to backup in case something gets forgotten or corrupted. Special thanks to you for the login system...it will come in handy one day.

Have a good one!