Lightbulb Unanswered: Validation for 3 forms to write to 1 table

Hi,

Hope this is a reasonable request...

Our main data entry form is bound to tbl with 57 fields (information about patients referred to us). Most of this info changes for each referral, so everything that can be normalized already has been (type of referral, type of situation, city, etc.)

Started with a bound form but it’s been convincingly explained to me that a form bound to DAO recordset, or even an unbound form, would be better. (Access 2000 db, running in Access 2003, db will be split over a network with very basic usergroup/workgroup security applied)

I’m trying to accomplish 2 things and don’t know if this is possible:
    (1) Want to validate about 10 of the fields required for reporting – got really good info from an earlier post how to code that. But I also want that warning msg box for “FieldX cannot be blank” to give options of OK, go back & enter it/Cancel record & close form. Then, if the user has to stop in the middle they’re not forced to leave bogus info in the form.

(2) Also, the form is way too crowded. Best would be if the main referral form only displays the most basic patient info there & has 2 cmd buttons to go to other forms for adding other bits of the information (one for referral person’s name, date, contact info, etc.; another for details on the patient’s specific situation, etc.).

These 3 forms all write to the same Referral tbl, so I’m confused about how you get all the data from 3 forms to only write to the tbl at the end, + still validate, + still give the chance to ditch the whole thing if needed. I’m the one who will be maintaining this, too, so it would be good if it’s as simple as possible.

Can anybody start me off in the right direction here? Very new to Vba. Thanks in advance.

To help with item (2)....

I have recently set up a db for a complementary therapy project, and i encountered a similar issue with forms being too crowded.

I also hated the option of splitting my data over "pop-up" forms, such aas ethnicity status and referall info.

In the end i opted to use the tab control. I created a page and added tabs and grouped things into sections for each tab...

eg; "Personal Info"; "Referal Info"; "Medication"; "Exit Info"; "GP" etc and so on...

however i found that somethings needed to go over 2 tabs otherwose they again looked crowded... "Questionairre Q1-Q5"; "Questionairre Q6-Q10" and so on.

thats about the best advice i can give from my experience. Somethings are better on seperate forms and somethings are better on the same form but using tab control, this though is a judgement call.

Dan
    sometimes simple is best.... and i'm just a simple fellow.

Thanks for the advice on (2), Dan. That would certainly be the best-looking solution. Would the performance still be ok when the back end is shared on the network?

I have tried 2 methods,

first was to have the DB shared on the network, the backend and front end were completely together in one DB. This was working well until i came to doing updates then it was nightmare, so..
    I split the backend into a seperate DB, and used the "link tables" in the front end side to manage where the data came from. each user has their own front end and the backend data comes from the network. A dream for just being able to edit and replace frontend sections.

Performance wise... the split option seems to load slower, but generally run quicker once loaded than having them all share one DB on the network. the shared option did seem to me to load faster but run slower.

Hope this helps.

Dan
    sometimes simple is best.... and i'm just a simple fellow.

Talking

Hi, Dan,

That's great - much obliged!! I'll try it out today!!

Cheers,

Lungta