Unanswered: Access XP and emailing/exporting reports

Hi there,

This is something of an "old" problem for me, since it's existed for me for about 4 years and was, to the best of my knowledge, never resolved in Access 2000 (when I first encountered the problem).

Now that I have Access XP, the problem persists.

I have a report that I want to export/email to people as an RTF attachment and that contains images. If I try to export the report, the images disappear completely and so does part of the text within the report.

The question I have is: how do I get the entire report, including images and all text, to appear in the RTF file?

Thanks.

The short answer is, you don't, it's not possible.

The longer version involves which workarounds you'd like.

If the visual format is the most important, just use the snapshot format, where everyone should be able to download the reader, if it isn't alredy installed. You could use some third party stuff too, to convert to pdf. These you can't edit.

If you need some limited way of editing + keep the images, I think perhaps a visit to Stephen Lebans site, perhaps in particular http://www.lebans.com/ReportUtilities.htm might be what you need. I haven't actually used this, though.
    Roy-Vidar

Hi Roy,

Well, after four years of trying this, you've managed to give me exactly enough information to be able to solve my problem. I thank you, sir!

It turned out that the Lebans stuff didn't work for what I wanted (since my report requires an on-the-fly filter generated from a form, and Lebans doesn't support it).

However, your PDF idea gave me the idea to work with CutePDF Writer (the freeware one). And it accomplished the major portion of my goal, which is to output to PDF. So I thank you very much for that.

I do, however, have one other question. The ideal would be if I could control the destination of the output (by default, it's "My Documents"), and the output filename.

Here's my code that generates the report itself.
    Code:
            Application.Printer = Printers("CutePDF Writer")
            DoCmd.OpenReport stDocName, acViewNormal, , (query filter)
            set Application.Printer = nothing
    Now, I'm assuming I have to do something to Application.Printer to somehow control these settings, but I don't see how to do that. (I'm actually a web designer/developer by trade, and while I do use Access to build the tables for websites, I usually don't play in things like this.)

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated, once again.
    Last edited by SEFL; 06-20-06 at 23:28.

I'm sorry, I have no experience in automating pdf, though I've seen the question posted several places. Perhaps someone else with such experience might chime in?

Mayhaps another Stephen Lebans solution might fit?
    http://www.lebans.com/reporttopdf.htm
    Roy-Vidar

Tried that too, but again, since my report requires a filter, his doesn't work. The only thing that does is an actual printer driver (which is what the CutePDF Writer is.)

Perhaps a look into PrimoPDF might be of some help.

In addition to a PDF Printer driver that is free and does not produce the annoying popup adds, they offer a number of higher level solutions, including developer and server based solutions. These features carry a small price tag and I haven't tried them (yet), but the free portion of the software has proven to be solid for myself and a number of users around me.

Also, Microsoft's Snapshot format is similar to PDF in that it is a portable document format that is not editable and preserves the formatting (including images). The viewer, like PDF, is free and you can export reports to Snapshot - meaning you get to designate the filename.
    Code:
    DoCmd.OutputTo acOutputReport, strReportName, acFormatSNP, strReportLocationAndFileName, True
    good luck,
    tc

Don't know if i'b being silly, but i use CIB Pdf brewer, which carries and add and you have to click a button each time, but other than that is fantastic. (in fact i recently changed to it because adobe acrobat pro was giving me issues)...

Anyhow, when i send my pdf to print, it prompts for the location of where the pdf file is to be stored, couldn't you just select the location that is not my documents where you want it saving to at this point?

~ Dan
    sometimes simple is best.... and i'm just a simple fellow.

tcace: for this particular application, the Snapshot format wouldn't work because most of the people the report is going to aren't Access users and therefore wouldn't have the viewer. They're also not all that tech-savvy and they are paranoid about downloading stuff. And since we're talking about hundreds of people potentially...yeah, not a tenable solution.

PDF's a lot more universal and people know about it. So that will work.

I'll have to check out that PrimoPDF thing. Might do the job. I did get my answer on CutePDF but since it requires a registry key write on the fly, I don't like that.

danlindley: I could, but ultimately, I'm not the one using the DB. I'm just trying to make it as braindead as I can from a user standpoint.

shame that the 'braindead' tend to be the ones using our masterpiece creations.

~dan

ps, as a thought, have you thought about outputting as a HTML file instead of pdf or rtf? this can be attached/used as the body of an email, and you'd get your nice formatting too.
    sometimes simple is best.... and i'm just a simple fellow.

Tried that. It kept chopping out the only two graphics (which are needed for the report.)

And agreed on the "braindead" comment.

ok, so PDF is a path to investigate.

Also, SNP would work, but it would trigger the "Windows Installer" the first time a PC opens one (it's a free install). Nervous Neddies tend to be more accepting of "official windows installers" - at least it seems that way since they never balk at flash or media player trying to install .....

A third option, heavy on the code, but does what you want:
    Use automation to "write" the document in Word. I have had situations where this option proved to be the best, although it is very time consuming to create.

tc