Unanswered: New to MSDE and ADP -- Need Help

I have just upgraded to Access 2003 and I am trying to learn how to use adp files for mutliuser client server databases.

1) I already have SSE installed with visual studio 2005 on my computer. Can I also install MSDE as well????

2) I am having trouble installing MSDE. I haven't found any good documentation. I am reading WROX's "Beginning Access 2003 VBA" and it has a section on installing MSDE which is not at all comprehensive and too brief.
    Are there any good reference out there on installation of MSDE?

I am running MS Win XP Pro SP2.
    The version of msde that came with my Office 2003 disk was sp3.

Quote Originally Posted by bbsjoe
    1) I already have SSE installed with visual studio 2005 on my computer. Can I also install MSDE as well????
    Yes you can. I have VS 2005, SQL Server 2k (developer) and SQL Server 2005 (developer) installed locally with no problems.

Quote Originally Posted by bbsjoe
    I am having trouble installing MSDE. I haven't found any good documentation. I am reading WROX's "Beginning Access 2003 VBA" and it has a section on installing MSDE which is not at all comprehensive and too brief.
    Are there any good reference out there on installation of MSDE?
    Any good?
    http://www.commercesolutionsllc.com/...structions.htm
    Otherwise - I would just Google:
    http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en...tructions&meta=

HTH
    Testimonial:
    pootle flump
    ur codings are working excelent.

Thanks

Thanks flump...

I reviewed the docs you sent.

This part of the doc keeps throwing me off. It was also mentioned in my book:

Any good?
    http://www.commercesolutionsllc.com/...structions.htm

"6- The MSDE Service should auto-start. When the computer is rebooted. However, you can check for its status by going to Start/Programs/Microsoft SQL Server/Service Manager:"
    My book and your doc both mention the Service Manager. For some reason I don't think this was installed when I installed the instance. When I installed MSDE I didn't get this on my start menu. There is no "Start/Programs/Micorsoft SQL Server/" branch.

I used this command line to install the instance:

setup.exe /qf instancename="name" disablenetworkprotocols=0 sapwd="password"

Manage MSDE with SQL Server Developer

Can you manage the MSDE instances with SQL Server Developer Edition? If so I will probably just buy SSDE.

Lightbulb

Got it working finally.

I was setting up remote access to the msde server on another machine and that was my hangup.

Also... Despite the instructions the Service Manager is installed under Startup on the start menu for some reason.

Using the following command line you can get a tcp ip connection:

setup.exe /qf sapwd="password" instancename="instance" disablenetworkprotocols=0 securitymode=sql