Unanswered: Display a single record

i have a customer table and a history table in sql. I want a report that will display a list of customers balance which pulls from the history table. The 2 tables are linked by cust_no. The problem is if the customer has 5 transactions in the history table it lists the customer 5 times before displaying the next. I want to be able to display customer 1 then 2 then 3 how do i make crystal display only one line from the history table?

One more thing how do i add a sql field like customer.lastname i can only figure out how to do it in the report wizard when i am creating the report
    Last edited by freshfitz; 06-21-06 at 17:05.

Have you tried changing the SQL join type of the link?

You don't say this in your post, but it looks like you want to group records by cust_no and then display a summary of some data from the history - i.e. you want to see a total of how much this customer has spent on all orders. Otherwise it'll print the customer information for every history record, like you currently get.

If this is the case, insert a goup based on cust_no and put the customer info in the Group Header section. Put the fields you need to total in the Details section and put a summary field in the Group Footer section.

Read up on Sorting and Grouping for more details.

If you're not interested in displaying the details of each order, you can hide the details section using the Section Expert. To "align" the summary field in the Group Footer with the Group Header, play with the "Underlay Following Sections" settings in the Section Expert.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++

To add a field that the wizard missed, use the Field Explorer to select the missing field and drop it in the section where you want it to show up.

Anything that the wizard does can be done/undone/redone manually. Eventually, you'll find the wizard more annoying than helpful and create your reports without it.

Thats awesome that worked thanks!