Best Method for Multi-Location App

I am going to build a production recording app that will be used by multiple locations. My tables are all in SQL Server, and I'll probably use Access as a front end.

My problem is: All of the tests I've done so far have shown that the outlying locations have connection speeds that are far too slow to use linked tables.
    Each location has multiple PC's that will do data entry. Each location does not have it's own network, so the app would have to be stored on each PC.

I'm thinking I'll have to use replication to get this done. Something along the lines of:

1) Store the tables locally on each PC.
    2) Periodically "send" the data to the network.
    3) When the app is opened, refresh the data in the tables from the network.

I don't like having to count on the user to remember to send the data, but I can't think of a way to automate that. If they have to save every record as
    they enter it, it will take to long.

I suppose the answer is to use some form of web page, but then I'd have to pass the job over to our Central IT dept, and they charge too much $$$... which almost always kills the project.

Is it worth me researching replication, or is that not the right option here?
    Inspiration Through Fermentation

never go around the Central IT dept, that's career suicide (either that, or they will co-opt your efforts anyway, and maybe even transfer you in there)
    rudy.ca | @rudydotca
    Buy my SitePoint book: Simply SQL

Quote Originally Posted by r937
    ... and maybe even transfer you in there)
    Hah... Never! They tried once, and found out that a Production Planner
    who can do some damn good app development makes more per year (with overtime) than they could afford to pay me as an intermediate developer.
    So they give me lots of rope and very little respect.
    Inspiration Through Fermentation