Unanswered: "Too many active users" on startup

Help! Basic Access 2000 user here!

Have been using Access 2000 from time to time over the years and recently installed Access 2000 (official original purchased CD, not a bootleg!) on a new computer running XP SP2.

When opening an existing database or opening a new blank database, I get the error "too many active users" and keeps me from using Access. Can anyone help me solve this? (I've already uninstalled and reinstalled several times.)

Thanks in advance!

This may help

I don't have a solution to your problem, but it's been seen by others before you. If you haven't already done so, do a search, within the Access forum, for "too many active users" (make sure you include the quotes) You'll find 10 or 12 entries that refer to the same problem, and some interesting things to try.

Good luck, and please post when you find your answer.

Thanks for responding. I have searched the forums but have not seen any solutions to my problem. I've searched my computer for any ldb files and found one: C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office

Thanks for responding. I have searched the forums but have not seen any solutions to my problem. I've searched my computer for any ldb files and found one which was System in the Office folder. I've deleted this file and rebooted but it reappears each time I launch Access. The searched items in the forums relate to "too many active users" but not on new database files. I saw a reply to one post by Michael Noto of Microsoft Support. How can I send my question to him directly?

Provided Answers: 59
    what workgroup file are you joined to. it may be that the offending ldb file is on a server

Id suggest looking at the shortcut you use to fire up access and find out what workgroup is being called. alterantively your copy of access may be registered to a workgroup. if so contact your applciation support / help desk and see what they have to say. (probably F!!!!ng microsoft.....)
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton

Do you have any databases created with older versions of Access on your PC? It may be one of them is associated with a wokgroup and that's causing the problem. It's a long shot, but it might just be the reason for the strange behaviour.

(And, of course remove any older versions of Access from your machine.)

Thanks for your replys. The computer is not connected to a network or server and not part of any workgroup. My copy of Access 2000 is a retail version registered to only me and not a workgroup. The few databases I have on the computer were never associated with a workgroup (used for personal use) but I will remove them tonight and try again. Note that after launching Access and trying to create a new database, I get the same error message. Is there any setting in Access that can be changed before opening a new or existing database? Is there any setting in XP-SP2 that could be causing this? (This is frustrating!)