Unanswered: SQL Union trouble

I have an issue where I have two tables with records that I want to bring back as one result set. When I use

select c1 from t1 union select c1 from t2

the code works fine. When I try to add one more column to each select statement it returns the "query block has incorrect number of result columns" error. Both statements have two columns selected and they are both of the same data type as each other.

Also note that I am not the DB admin and that I am using sql through an odbc connection to an oracle database to bring back data. Is there a way around this or can my union really only be used on one column from each table?

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Rweasel6
    ... Both statements have two columns selected and they are both of the same data type as each other.

The above statement is incorrect, the Oracle error is clear:
    "query block has incorrect number of result columns"
    PS: Oracle does not lie!
    The person who says it can't be done should not interrupt the person doing it. -- Chinese proverb

Thumbs up

When you union some selects, all the columns that are returned by both selects must be the exact same number of columns and each column must be the same data type. For example

select c1,c2 from t1
    union
    select c1,c2 from t2;

would return two columns. Now some information about union. "union" will merge the two selects and suppress any duplicates. "union all" will simply join the two selects. If you ran the following select

select c1 from t1
    union
    select c1 from t1;

and t1 contained 10 unique records for c1, then 10 rows would be returned using a "union". If you then ran the following select

select c1 from t1
    union all
    select c1 from t1;

Then the unioned select would return 20 rows. If you do not need to supress duplicates, then always use "union all". It is MUCH faster then "union".

Bill
    You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.

I have tried the union all

select c1, c2 from t1
    UNION ALL
    select c1, c2 from t2

and I still get the error. I am using cognos analyst and wondering if the error may have to do with the cognos program trying to read the data the SQL statement is bringing in although the error that comes up is an ORACLE error.

again I am able to use UNION if I only have 1 column from each table selected such as

select c1 from t1
    UNION ALL
    select c1 from t2

only when I try to select more than one column do I get the error.

Type the following commands and paste the results here

desc t1
    desc t2

Are c2 in t1 and c2 in t2 the EXACT same datatype (both number, both varchar2, both date..... etc).
    Bill
    You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.

Not sure if I follow you with the desc. I typed that and it didnt work. Im not a SQL expert so Im not sure if there is supposed to be code in front of this.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Rweasel6
    ... I am using cognos analyst and wondering if the error may have to do with the cognos program

Yes, the problem is with cognos

The person who says it can't be done should not interrupt the person doing it. -- Chinese proverb

The error must have to do with cognos as I have tried UNION all with two columns from each table that I know are the exact same type and I get the same error

If COGNOS can't support a union, then change the union in a view.

create view ti_v as
    select c1, c2 from t1
    UNION ALL
    select c1, c2 from t2;

and in cognos, use "select c1,c2 from ti_v"
    Bill

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by beilstwh
    If COGNOS can't support a union, then change the union in a view.

create view ti_v as
    select c1, c2 from t1
    UNION ALL
    select c1, c2 from t2;

and in cognos, use "select c1,c2 from ti_v"

-- OR -- Dump cognos and get your money back, the word on the street is that cognos is a piece of ____ (garbage).