Unanswered: Oracle Syncing for DR site with log files vs entire database?

Hello.

I’m trying to backup my oracle database at a Disaster recovery site and I was wondering if the databases were out of sync for whatever reason. If it was possible to synchronize them using the log files or some other method which does not require a transfer of the entire database (100GB)? \

I am told that even if they are 99.99% in sync you have to send another copy of the entire database. We are using oracle 8i, perhaps this is not the case with Oracle 10?

Do you know of a program or even a 3rd party application that can be used to synchronize the without having to redo the entire database?

Thanks for your help.

Where the Surf Meets the Turf @Del Mar, CA
    Provided Answers: 1
    >if they are 99.99% in sync
    What magic do you expect to be done to grok EXACTLY which 00.01% of the source data needs to be sent?
    You can lead some folks to knowledge, but you can not make them think.
    The average person thinks he's above average!
    For most folks, they don't know, what they don't know.
    Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement.

I'm wondering if there is a way to use the log files which should indicate any changes which cause the differences between the 2 databases.

Alternatively, if there is a way that they can be compared for differences and those differences be updated in the database which is out of sync.

So you are saying there is not a way to do it?

Please let me know.

Thanks.

What about this, will this sync only the changes?

http://www.daffodildb.com/replicator/

Where the Surf Meets the Turf @Del Mar, CA
    Provided Answers: 1
    To keep two databases "in synch", at some point in time in the past they had to have been "in synch".
    Keep in mind that for 8i in the source DB, any DDL "breaks" synchronization.
    You can lead some folks to knowledge, but you can not make them think.
    The average person thinks he's above average!
    For most folks, they don't know, what they don't know.
    Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement.

Assuming they are almost always in sync but then at some point they become out of sync. Is there a way to bring them back in sync without a total reloading of the entire database? I mean just looking at the small piece that is not in sync instead of the entire database?

I mean, it would take a very long time to transfer 100GB database across the internet! The Daffodil replicator saids:

“The Replicator file system technology maintains a record of incremental database changes and transfer only those file system blocks that have changed. This significantly reduces the amount of data that needs to be transferred.”

Sounds like there is technology that can only copy changes yes?

http://www.daffodildb.com/replicator/index.html