Unanswered: cannot stop the SQLAgent service

Hello jsider,

Please let me know how you finally resolved this.... i'm having the same problem.... I cannot stop SQL Server on my box. It's the Agent that actually won't stop.... my request times out and the Agent keeps running.

Thanks!

Donna

SQL Agent errors on startup... now fixed.

It's working now! I killed the Agent (using task manager because it was hung), then did the following:

1. Modify the SQLAdmin user so that Domain Admin is it's primary group. (had been set to Domain User). I don't know if this fixed anything or not.
    (I know that a domain admin doesn't need to also be in the domain user group, but it was created that way by our systems admin guy.)

2. I then clicked on the "Reset Proxy Account" and "Reset Proxy Password" buttons... under "SQL Server Agent" properties => Job System tab. I had done this already, maybe it worked better this time.

3. Then the systems admin guy here helped me to see the problem. I had added the 4 user rights below to the SQLAdmin user for the DOMAIN.... i needed to add these 4 user rights to this SQLAdmin user for the LOCAL BOX. So i wasn't using "User Manager for Domains" correctly. Arrrrgh!

Here are the 4 user rights that i had to give to the account (on the local box!) starting the SQL Server Agent service:

1) act as part of the OS
    2) increase quotas
    3) log on as a service
    4) replace a process level token

4. With these 4 user rights, i was then able to start the SQL Agent without the errors!
    (And it now stops and starts without hanging... not really sure why it was ever hanging.)

Thanks for your reply!

Donna

I had that issue and had to correct the user account that started the service.

I tried it manually to prove it would start the account then swithced it to auto.
    Kenny Terry
    (MCSE, CCNA)