Question Unanswered: Need help with e-commerce site

Hi all, looking for some help with an ecommerce site based on accounting software which uses pervasive v8.6. The problem is i'm not quite sure how to tackle a distributed system. The ecommerce site which can be hosted by the accounting company cost thousands per yr so wish to develop my own.

I dont have a problem with the php or sql, and can setup the site locally fine but i am just wondering how would i go about having the website hosted remotely as well as having a local database.

Sorry i'm sure this question would have been asked many times but i could not find the answer cause i think i was searching for the wrong thing.

Provided Answers: 4
    As far as setting up "remote" access, you need a Client installed on the webserver and a valid connection to the database server.
    If you are using shared hosting services, you may not be able to install the PSQL components.

The "valid connection" means a TCP/IP connection from the web server to the database server. If you're going through a firewall, you'll need to open the appropriate port(s) on the firewall (3351 for Btrieve, 1583 for SQL).
    Mirtheil Software
    Certified Pervasive Developer
    Certified Pervasive Technician
    Custom Btrieve/VB development
    http://www.mirtheil.com
    I do not answer questions by email. Please post on the forum.

Question

thanks for the reply Mirthiel,

Just wondering if there would be another way to do it as the accounting software comes with the workgroup version of Pervasive. And i think to upgrade to client server version would cost big dollars.

I think for simplicity and checking facility i would like to bring the sales from the online store into one batch invoice. Is there a way i can create a db for the web site to take these invoices in and then migrate this on the client side

as you can tell i'm a bit lost.

Thanks in advance,
    Jarred.

Provided Answers: 4
    The workgroup engine really isn't designed to handle the kind of traffic a web site can generate. You're right. You'd probably need the server engine. You'll also need the "Internet/Intranet" license from Pervasive.

As far as having two databases, it would be possible. You'd have to write code or a process to move the data from the web db to the accounting db. You might consider something like DataExchange (the Pervasive replication product). It won't work with the workgroup though.
    Mirtheil Software
    Certified Pervasive Developer
    Certified Pervasive Technician
    Custom Btrieve/VB development
    http://www.mirtheil.com
    I do not answer questions by email. Please post on the forum.