Question Unanswered: Need help setting up database for work...

Hi guys,

I am about to create a database for work. I will be using Access 2003. The database will contain the following:

A full list of student names
    Which course they are doing. (might put these on seperate table?)
    A list of assignments for each course.

I would like for it to display what assignments a student has done to date and possible a field saying precentage of assignments completed.

I kind of have an idea how this might go but I can't get my head around how many seperate tables to use and in what way they should be related.

Can anyone advise me on this?

Thanks.

I recently saw a thread with a good link to a site that explains database normalization. In any case, Google "database normalization" and read some of the results.

Basically, break your data into logical groups (a table for each), and then link the groups together in a seperate table.

good luck,
    tc

Quote Originally Posted by py2006
    Hi guys,

I am about to create a database for work. I will be using Access 2003. The database will contain the following:

A full list of student names
    Which course they are doing. (might put these on seperate table?)
    A list of assignments for each course.

I would like for it to display what assignments a student has done to date and possible a field saying precentage of assignments completed.

I kind of have an idea how this might go but I can't get my head around how many seperate tables to use and in what way they should be related.

Can anyone advise me on this?

Thanks.
    hm...what about this way:

student table
    student id
    student name

course table
    course id
    course name

assignment table
    assignment id
    assignment name (if neccessary)

now...

student course table
    student id (foreign key to student table, probably many to 1, so you only have one student detail data in student table, but many row of data on this table belongs to that student)
    course id (foreign key to course table, many to 1, since more than one student can join the same course)

course assignment table
    course id (foreign key to course table, many to 1 if one course can have more than 1 assignments)
    assignment id (foreign key to assignment table, many to 1 if 2 courses might have the same assignment, 1 to 1 if the assignment is unique to a single course)

probably you should read the normalization of the database. Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by mkggoh
    hm...what about this way:

student table
    student id
    student name

course table
    course id
    course name

assignment table
    assignment id
    assignment name (if neccessary)

now...

student course table
    student id (foreign key to student table, probably many to 1, so you only have one student detail data in student table, but many row of data on this table belongs to that student)
    course id (foreign key to course table, many to 1, since more than one student can join the same course)

course assignment table
    course id (foreign key to course table, many to 1 if one course can have more than 1 assignments)
    assignment id (foreign key to assignment table, many to 1 if 2 courses might have the same assignment, 1 to 1 if the assignment is unique to a single course)

probably you should read the normalization of the database. Hope this helps.
    Hi, thanks for that! I get to work straight away!