Unanswered: Can I send an e-mail in access without using e-mail program?

Hello to all,

Is there any way to send an e-mail from access with out having to send it through an e-mail program?

Basically I have access search to see if a record has been added to the database today. If this is the first record what i want it to do is send an email to a set email address. then updates the table to show that the email has been sent for todays update. so if I add an additional record today it will read that the email has already been sent informing the recipient that the database has been updated.

I don't have a problem with any of the code except for the part that can send the e-mail to a certain address with a subject and one sentance in the body of the e-mail. such as

person@address.com
    Subject: Database updated (today's date)
    Body: Records have been added to the database.

I have found where it will open your e-mail program and you have to click send. this is what I don't want to do. Is there anyway to do this? where when they click the save button on a form it also sends this text e-mail?

Thanks for all your help.

Mythos

Emailing

We used to use an open-source email program called blat which was easy and quick to install. I have a post or two on it with some vba code on how to send an email. Other than that, I don't know how you would do it.
    Expert Database Programming
    MSAccess since 1.0, SQL Server since 6.5, Visual Basic (5.0, 6.0)

You could learn how to setup and use SMTP, but you'd be reinventing the basic email program.

There a few good books on the subject.

tc

Thanks

Well thank you for the replies. I just didn't know that if access could do it itself. I guess not.So the only way looks to be when the first person for the day adds a record they will be the ones to send the e-mail. I just have to make sure that they follow through.

thanks again

Mythos

Are you using Outlook? There is much on the subject of sending email from Access using Outlook as the client.

Something else you may want to look into is using a Yahoo email or similar. You'd have to decipher the way the URL is structured and then you could take advantage of it. I've seen it done using Google's mapping site with some VBA to insert the address - perhaps it is possible using one of the online emails.

good luck and share if you find something that works!
    tc