Unanswered: 4GL versus MSAccess

Does anybody have the REAL scoop on 4GL programming versus vba/vb? My new company is very PRO-4GL and very ANTI-MSAccess/VB.
    Expert Database Programming
    MSAccess since 1.0, SQL Server since 6.5, Visual Basic (5.0, 6.0)

Quote Originally Posted by pkstormy
    Does anybody have the REAL scoop on 4GL programming versus vba/vb? My new company is very PRO-4GL and very ANTI-MSAccess/VB.

4GLs ... Think of Crystal Reports or any other "high level" "programming" language .. They do have their good points:

Rapid Development
    Usually low learning curve
    Anyone can think their a programmer
    Bells and whistles

Drawbacks:

Can be limited on intricate/complex tasks
    Can do the simple shit for the most part
    REAL programmers sneer at 4GLs
    Anyone can think their a programmer

But, the 1st one is the most important. Some of the 4GLs just can't do very sophisticated/intricate work ...
    Back to Access ... ADO is not the way to go for speed ...

4gl

Thank you very much M Owen! What would be an example of an intricate/complex task which couldn't be done in 4GL? (The 4GL programmers are consistently telling me "Anything MSAccess/VBA/VB can do we can do just as easily with 4GL") So far, 4GL really disgusts me (but I've been a vba programmer for 15 years now and I haven't seen any "Bells and Whistles" with 4GL.)
    Expert Database Programming
    MSAccess since 1.0, SQL Server since 6.5, Visual Basic (5.0, 6.0)

I tried 4Gl and ran it through some tests. Referential integrity, easy to set up on the graphical interface, but what happens if you do it wrong?

I tried this. With Access it's very difficult to put the relationship the wrong way round, but not so with 4GL. It's also very difficult to correct this sort of mistake with 4GL.

I made a lot of other 'mistakes' to try it out, and frankly I wasn't impressed with it as a serious development tool.

ODBC support? (The version I had didn't support ODBC which made it a worthless tool at best.)

Quote Originally Posted by pkstormy
    Thank you very much M Owen! What would be an example of an intricate/complex task which couldn't be done in 4GL? (The 4GL programmers are consistently telling me "Anything MSAccess/VBA/VB can do we can do just as easily with 4GL") So far, 4GL really disgusts me (but I've been a vba programmer for 15 years now and I haven't seen any "Bells and Whistles" with 4GL.)
    Depending on the 4GL, an intricate task may be using multiple temp tables ... Or some types of queries are not supported. Complex task can be as simple as having a routine that collates data from multiple tables into a single table for reporting ... Some 4GLs only allow a primary query and/or table ...
    Back to Access ... ADO is not the way to go for speed ...