Unanswered: ASA 9 - host & db path resolution from ODBC client

Hi all,

Pardon if I post this inappropriately to this forum, but I thought you Sybase gurus could help.

I am attempting to resolve the "path" of the server db from a client attached through ODBC (OpenLink), in an effort to display on the client, Image files residing on the server. The server is ASA 9.02/Win and the client is a MAC attached through ODBC. The "plug-in" I am using in my development environment (RealBasic 5.5.5 ODBC) does not expose the "host" name.

Maybe there is something simple I am missing in my methodology. Any general direction would be much appreciated!

David Studstill
    Artsystems, Ltd.

call sa_conn_properties give you list of connection property
    as you can C, node_address show IP address
    select connection_property ( 'NodeAddress' ) give you IP address

other than this
    call sa_db_properties
    SELECT db_property('File') show path

Thanks. This is really helpful. The NodeAddress seems to give me the Client Node, not the Server IP address, or am I missing something?

David

If it's possible for you to use the Actual Technologies driver instead, it is quite easy to connect to ASA with it. You can try the free demo at www.actualtechnologies.com/download.php.

Using the Actual SQL Server driver's DSN setup assistant, set the following parameters:

Server: database name (example: asademo)
    Server type: Sybase
    Configure client screen:
    - Address: IP address of server
    - Port: 2638
    Database: database name (example: asademo)

That's it - you should be able to successfully test using the Test button on the Conclusion panel, and then execute queries using your REALbasic application.

Jonathan Monroe
    Actual Technologies - ODBC for OS X
    www.actualtechnologies.com

Jonathan,

Small world! My programer Erick, posted this question for us on the RB forum and I think you responded there as well. My problem is after connecting, the RB plug-in does not expose any host "info". I believe you suggested we try the new RB - ODBC Plug-In beta, but we're still using 5.5.5 and I could not connect to the ASA database with the beta.

So... if I use your drivers, can I connect to an ASA 9 db with RB 5.5 and see the host info through the RB plug-in?

Thanks,

David

Server IP address

Since Client is connected to server, if you use dos command
    you supposed to see server address by port no.

such as
    netstat -a | findstr "2638"

You just call OS call and get IP address, how about that ?

REAL Software released the new ODBC plugin as part of REALbasic 2006 Release 3. You can download the plugin separately, and I believe it is backward compatible to RB 5.0.

You should be able to connect to your Sybase ASA database using the Actual Technologies ODBC driver for SQL Server and Sybase using RB 5.5 and the new plugin. I am able to connect to our ASA server, as long as the database is launched as a "Network Server" using DB Launcher.

Unfortunately, it looks like the Host information (the db.Host property) is left blank when connecting to an ASA database. Otherwise, you should be able to perform normal SQL queries and fetch recordsets.

Jonathan Monroe
    Actual Technologies - ODBC for Mac OS X
    http://www.actualtechnologies.com

REAL Software ODBC

WHAT YOU WANT TO SAY IS REAL Software ODBC can't use for ASA ?
    What is advantage for us to use 3rd party ODBC driver for ASA since
    SQLAnywhere is designed only for ODBC ?
    Faster ? Extended functions ?

REALbasic ODBC works fine with ASA. Connecting, executing SQL queries, and returning results all works as expected. However, the db.Host property does not appear to be populated with the host info after a connection is made.

Jonathan Monroe
    Actual Technologies - ODBC for Mac OS X
    http://www.actualtechnologies.com