Unanswered: Where is the database!!

Hi all
    New to the forum and to Access.
    I have a legacy system comprising a front end in Access and need to find out where on my company network it is pointing to to access its back end data, and how to change that setting.

Any help appreciated !!

Hi Seilsong

Welcome to the forum

Depending on the set up but a good start would be:
    Tools-> Database Utilities -> Linked Table manager

You will see the connections for all (if any) linked tables.
    If you want to see more detail (e.g. for SQL Server linked tables)
    Right click a table and select Design view. Click on properties and look at the connection string.

See how you get on. You then need to consider heteregenous queries, pass throughs and ADO\ DAO connections but it depends how sophisticated your new db is
    Testimonial:
    pootle flump
    ur codings are working excelent.

Hi Pootle Flump.
    Here lies the problem. Whoever designed the system has basically locked it all down, ie there are no Tools options, no File menu.....nada. The application is run from the desktop and opens a swicthboard of funtions, which in turn offer data access, edit, delete etc. This front end is pointing to a back end database somewhere which I need to locate.
    There are some 200 databases on our network, so its anyones guess which one it is !!

OK. more info:
    The program is kicking off an MDE file. Does this allow me to see where its pointing for its data ??

Provided Answers: 19
    Access dbs are developed as MDB files. Here you have access to the inner workings, if you will. The MDE file, which is Access' way of keeping everybody from doing anything except actually using the db, is made by compiling the db MDB file. Assuming you don't have access to the original developer of the db, my next move would be to try to locate the MDB file. It should have the same name as the MDE version, i.e. Lost.mde would derive from Lost.mdb. If you can find the MDB file you should be able to locate the back end.
    Hope this helps!

The problem with making anything foolproof...is that fools are so darn ingenious!

All posts/responses based on Access 2003/2007

.MDE

depends how good the original coder was - if he was worth his salt you wont get anywhere at all from within access.

how about from outside access?
    if your goal really is as stated: find the backend data - a hex editor will show you linked file names (if this is linked data) and lots of other interesting stuff besides. search for FF FE - the linked file names are amongst the first few dozen hits in a typical .MDE

izy
    currently using SS 2008R2

I am not sure about MDEs, but with an MDB you can hold the Shift key while opening the database and that will skip any startup code that is run. That is assuming that this feature was not disabled.

Another approach might be to open a new database, choose File/Get External Data/Import and then choose the MDE. You might be able to import the links to the backend (again I am not sure about MDEs) Once you have the links imported, you should be able to put your cursor over the table name and it will tell you where it links to. If not, Design the table (you will get a warning) proceed and it will show you all the fields in the table. Right click to the right of the field names and disply the Properties. The top property will be the connection string and that should show you the path to the table(s).

Agreed with the above. Your main focus has to be on finding the original mdb that the mde was made from. Otherwise finding the table links will only be the start of your problems.
    Testimonial:
    pootle flump

Thank you DCKunkle!!!
    help down the shift key and lo and behold, an access front end with all the tools. Was able to access the Linked Table Manager. Gave me the full file path to the tables.

Thanks all for your suggestions. I feel sure I will be back for more as this system has a lot of inherent problems which I must learn to fix.

Quote Originally Posted by Seilsong
    Thank you DCKunkle!!!
    help down the shift key and lo and behold, an access front end with all the tools. Was able to access the Linked Table Manager. Gave me the full file path to the tables.

Thanks all for your suggestions. I feel sure I will be back for more as this system has a lot of inherent problems which I must learn to fix.
    Well - at least you know you are not dealing with something produced by a paranoid access security expert - the shift thing can be disabled if (s)he was serious about locking people out.

You have no idea how much difficulty you will have if you aren't able to track down the original mdb. If you can't then you might need a service like this:
    http://www.everythingaccess.com/

Lol - I've just noticed Wayne created the "reverse engineer an mdb from your mde" service and has now complimented it with "prevent reverse engineering of your mde". Jolly good show.
    Quote Originally Posted by EverythingAccess
    Worried that someone will reverse engineer your VBA code?...
    Not until I saw your website, no
    Last edited by pootle flump; 07-06-06 at 07:18.
    Testimonial:
    pootle flump