Unanswered: Application update techniques

Just want to see if someone's gota better idea to implement application update in Access 2000. Currently, I have a table on the server which contains all the objects and their version numbers. On startup of the application, I download that table into a temporary table local to the application (I have a client/server setup). Then on regular intervals I check the version nos with the server table. Whenever, I update an object, I update its version o nthe server table.

Hence, whenever there is a differnece in the version no for an object between local and server tables, I send out an Update message.

Is there any other method or technique that can be used?

Provided Answers: 6
    I've never seen the point in worrying about each individual object. I keep a version table in the front end. Whenever I add/delete/modify objects, I add another record to the version table (version #, date & description of changes). My users don't actually start the application, they start a utility program that checks the version on the server against the version on the client. If a newer version is available, the utility copies it to the client, then either way it starts the application and closes itself. This process requires nothing from the user. To me, the entire mde will copy fast enough that it isn't worth the bother of checking/copying individual objects.
    Paul

That's amazingly simple, pbaldy. I have thought about how to do this and I have always come up with a more complicated version. The startup program is that Access or some kind of VB application?

Provided Answers: 6
    Thanks. I originally wrote it in Access, but later wrote it in VB6 so it's an exe now. I figured it would run faster as an exe, which seems to be the case (though performance was fine when it was an mde).
    Paul

I use a method similar to pbaldy...

I keep the "development" model of the front end on my pc. Whenever I have updates to send to my users, I have a "Save Db Changes" button on my switchboard that copies the DB out to a network location and updates a .ini file with the current date. My users all have an icon on their desktop that launches a .bat file. That file compares the date on their version to the date in the .ini file. If they don't match, it copies the new version from the network to their pc, and then launches it. If they do match, it just launches the version on their pc. I've also added a version number to the .ini file, which I use for display in the title bar of the app. That way, I know whether or not they've copied the latest version from the network (I've never really needed this, but it looks impressive to the users )
    Inspiration Through Fermentation

i'm jealous!!
    easy with fileserver.

how can i do that when the db is sitting in MSSQL-2K, and i have no permissions on the db-server other than dbo of my own instances, and the users don't have a fileserver in common.

any ideas? (however bizarre!)

izy
    currently using SS 2008R2

Well the idea is not just to distribute the latest updated copy of the software to the users. That is done by a software called Xen (part of Novell Network employed in my company).

What I wanted to accomplish was a better idea to inform users of an update while they are logged in the application. This way I want to reduce misunderstandings. as an example, I changed a report's query and publish it out. People who have already logged in will not see those changes while users who log after the change is in production will get the latest and updated report.