Question Unanswered: Datawarehousing Feature

Hi all,

This is only a scenario. I have summarized data in a table. The table has 50 million rows.

1. Now when I take a report based on the Quarter, the report generated has 20 million records, which is done by scanning the full table (I don't mean a full table scan here...it could be even on a index...what I mean is all the data in the table is scanned to generate this report).

2. When I take a report based on the Month, the report generated has 5 million records, which could be done by scanning all the data in the table and also by another way by which not all data is scanned, only data in the 20 million records (the Quarter result) is scanned.

3. When I take a report based on the Week, the report generated has 1 million records, which could be done by scanning all the data in the table and also by another way by which not all the data is scanned, only data in 5million records (the Month by result) is scanned.

The "another way" is achieved by creating "something" by tools or directly by commands in database. I am not able to recall what that "something" is. Does anyone know of what I am talking about?

Thanks,
    Srinivas

partitioning?
    partition by the date column: weekly, monthly or quarterly
    - The_Duck
    you can lead someone to something but they will never learn anything ...