Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Unanswered: DBA's with Certifications

Is there any DBA's here that have Database Certifications under them??

I'm sitting on a Kalen's book as we speak....uh, write.....

Here goes the cert discussion again....
    Brett
    8-)

It's a Great Day for America everybody!

dbforums Yak CorralRadio 'Rita
    dbForums Member List
    I'm Good Once as I ever was

The physical order of data in a database has no meaning.

No LOL

Do you have any Database administrator certs???

sorry was that a bad question

sorry never mind was just curious

Crawling Away

Now, my one feeling is Hurt

Provided Answers: 11
    Quote Originally Posted by desireemm
    Do you have any Database administrator certs???
    No, I use Breath Savers, myself. In a pinch, I will use a Wint-O-Green LifeSaver.

Oh, wait, you meant.....

Lol

you guys are too funny

Provided Answers: 1
    Database Certs and Wint-o-green certs are very similiar. You can hand either one to a colleague and say "suck on this".

Not sure if database certs flouro-luminesce when you bite them, though.
    If it's not practically useful, then it's practically useless.

blindman
    www.chess.com: "sqlblindman"
    www.LobsterShot.blogspot.com

Next time

next time I'll know better not to ask that question
    Ok so the answer is No

No one has DBA Certs...as in Microsoft SQL Server certs Oracle ..etc

Provided Answers: 54
    I tried certs once, but I'm a real Altoids fan. Pepermint, Cinnamon (especially the smalls), and the new Mango Sours all tickle my fancy.

While I occaisionally provide questions when they want to "freshen" the cert tests, I don't sit for the certificate myself. If an organization is so haywire that you need a cert to talk with them, I'd rather know that up front... I'd never be happy there because they've reached the point where paper is more important than production. I lived that life once, a very long time ago, and I no longer have the stomach needed to be happy there or of real assistance to them.

I much prefer to deal with folks that visit the real world now and then.

-PatP

Thank You Pat

PAT thats what I wanted to hear, what ever happened to good old work experience..there are people who have paper under their belt but once it comes to actually doing the job they need to be trained...and some of these people cheat on these exams to get the certs anyways. Good grief if you have so much experience why do you need a cer???

Provided Answers: 54
    The problem is that many organizations are run by HR, at least as far as hiring is concerned. HR doesn't really understand the business, they understand HR, so they have to rely on some "external certifier" to screen potential candidates. This isn't necessarily HR's fault, especially if they've been forced into a role that they didn't want or campaign to get, but they still have to live with it.

If an organization has descended so far into bureaucracy that they are forced into this kind of behavior, they're past the point where I'll be comfortable working for them, and are probably to the point where politics is 80% of every business day. Truly large organizations are like that, and once you understand that limitation you can make better choices. The marginally technically competent with good political skills thrive in that environment, but I'm not sufficiently politically correct to cope with it.

-PatP

Well that explains it

I built this deparments databases when they practically had none, I have sql server as the engine and Access 2003 on the front end for the users and even though I am already the DBA (title and all) They still want a cert and I just dont want to go through all that

Provided Answers: 1
    If they will pay for it, then do it.
    If it's not practically useful, then it's practically useless.

blindman
    www.chess.com: "sqlblindman"
    www.LobsterShot.blogspot.com

Provided Answers: 6
    certifications and computers are kind of like college degrees. you get out of them exactly what you put into them. some kids study real hard and go above and beyond what they need to know to get by and others just do enough to pass and move on. The latter usually have business degrees. i happen to know someone a little older than me with 2 full microsoft certifications who has some real wholes in his\her knowledge when it comes to basic computing. I have seen this person struggle and or fumble with DOS, ftp, remote desktop, winzip etc... I learned DOS in high school years before I could even afford a computer of my own and it always blows my mind when IT people can not command line.

Anyhow. I have passed the 2 sql server exams for the MCDBA 2K and I have been doing this only because the company needs to maintain it's MS partner status and they are paying for the tests and materials. In some respects it has made me learn about areas of sql server that I would have otherwise ignored and it has finally motivated me to get off my ass and update my web development skills to the whole C#\.Net thing as my elective. So in some I would say the whole thing has been a positive for me so far.
    “If one brings so much courage to this world the world has to kill them or break them, so of course it kills them. The world breaks every one and afterward many are strong at the broken places. But those that will not break it kills. It kills the very good and the very gentle and the very brave impartially. If you are none of these you can be sure it will kill you too but there will be no special hurry.” Earnest Hemingway, A Farewell To Arms.