Thread: Memory usage

Unanswered: Memory usage

I was on my friend's server earlier and I checked his system stats. Between sqlservr.exe and msftesql.exe he was using 2.9gb of ram. This is not a high traffic server so I felt that was just a wee bit high. What are some usage experiences you have seen? I have not worked with 2005 so I don't know what the usage should be like for a low to medium usage server. The guy that admins the db is kinda a moron anyway. He said he has said to the server admin it has been optimized, but I dont believe it one bit at 2.9gb of usage. Any comments would help.

Pete

Provided Answers: 11
    This is a pretty common question from people who do not administer SQL Servers or even Exchange servers for that matter. SQL Server is designed to take up memory and not release it unless something else needs it. SQL Server will allow 4 - 10 MB of physical memory for other processes. If this is a dedicated server, it is nothing to worry about. He is actually getting something use out of all that memory.

I'm sure for a server that needed that much use out of its memory it would be good, but for a server that has maybe 20 sites on it and a probably 8gb of traffic a month for sites that use the sql server 2.9gb is unacceptable to me. I have mysql running along side it which I admin and it is only using a quarter of what sql server is using.

Provided Answers: 11
    If the box is paging memory, then you can put a cap on SQL Server's consumption of memory. If not, I am not sure why you would bother.