Provided Answers: 4

Unanswered: XML (XBRL) validation with DB2 7.2 OS/370 or Express-C ?

Is it possible to perform a validation on a XBRL document using DB2 7.2 OS/370 and/or DB2 Express-C (viper)?

We will receive (and must provide) XBRL documents in the future with our partners. XBRL is a specific XML schema for financial information. So DB2 should be able to validate the correctness of the XBRL files/data we will receive.

I did some XML tests on DB2 8.1 LUW on my previous job. I don't know if DB2 on our mainframe can do the validation. If not, I was thinking of doing the validation on DB2 Express-C, and then load it into DB2 on the MF if the data turns out to be OK, untill we have a more recent version of DB2 on the MF.

Migrating to a newer version of software on a MF seems to go a tiny bit slower than on other platforms.
    Last edited by Wim; 07-10-06 at 05:15.
    With kind regards . . . . . SQL Server 2000/2005/2012

Grabel's Law: 2 is not equal to 3 -- not even for very large values of 2.
    Pat Phelan's Law: 2 very definitely CAN equal 3 -- in at least two programming languages

As I understand it from the documentation on the XML Extender for DB2 v7.2, XML validation has several limitations, and uses a DTD, not a Schema.

Hence I would propose to validate the XBRL files outside DB2.

With Viper the story should be different, but I've not yet tried out the XML support in v9 so I cannot comment on that...
    --_Peter Vanroose,
    __IBM Certified Database Administrator, DB2 9 for z/OS
    __IBM Certified Application Developer
    __ABIS Training and Consulting