Thread: SetFocus issue

Unanswered: SetFocus issue

I have a login form that I use and on this form, the user specifies which category they wish to update. Based on their answer, I then open another form and only display the tab for the correct category. The following code works if they choose Category 1, but when they choose Category 2 or 3, I get an error saying "You can't hide a control that has the focus"

Code:
    Select Case Forms!frmLogin!category_frame  'depending on which category the user wants to work on, we need to set focus to the correct tab

Case Is = 1

DoCmd.OpenForm "frm_Main"
                Forms!frm_Main!TabCtl0.Pages(0).SetFocus              ' set focus to Category 1 tab
                Forms!frm_Main!TabCtl0.Pages.Item(1).Visible = False  ' make category 2 page not visible
                Forms!frm_Main!TabCtl0.Pages.Item(2).Visible = False  ' make category 3 page not visible

Call UnselectOptionButtons   ' reset all the option buttons to blanks

Case Is = 2

Forms!frm_Main!TabCtl0.Pages.Item(0).Visible = False  ' make category 1 page not visible
                Forms!frm_Main!TabCtl0.Pages(1).SetFocus              ' set focus to Category 2 tab
                Forms!frm_Main!TabCtl0.Pages.Item(2).Visible = False  ' make category 3 page not visible

Call UnselectOptionButtons

Case Is = 3

Forms!frm_Main!TabCtl0.Pages.Item(0).Visible = False  ' make category 1 page not visible
                Forms!frm_Main!TabCtl0.Pages.Item(1).Visible = False  ' make category 2 page not visible
                Forms!frm_Main!TabCtl0.Pages(2).SetFocus              ' set focus to Category 3 tab

End Select

Do your SetFocus first, then hide the other controls.
    Inspiration Through Fermentation

No luck

Code:
    Select Case Forms!frmLogin!category_frame  'depending on which category the user wants to work on, we need to set focus to the correct tab

Case Is = 1

Forms!frm_Main!TabCtl0.Pages(0).SetFocus              ' set focus to Category 1 tab

Call UnselectOptionButtons   ' reset all the option buttons to blanks

Case Is = 2

Forms!frm_Main!TabCtl0.Pages(1).SetFocus              ' set focus to Category 2 tab

Case Is = 3

Forms!frm_Main!TabCtl0.Pages(2).SetFocus              ' set focus to Category 3 tab

End Select

try passing the id for the setfocus to a global variable
    then do your setfocus on the form's load event
    Only quitters quit!

setfocus to another not important object in the form before the hide statement.

emiel

Provided Answers: 19
    In this type of situation I sometimes create a "phantom" textbox (named PhantomTextbox) that I shrink to the size of a pixel and us to setfocus to. I usually place it off in a corner somewhere, and the user doesn't even see it.
    Hope this helps!

The problem with making anything foolproof...is that fools are so darn ingenious!

All posts/responses based on Access 2003/2007

Make sure that you intialize all controls as visible first, then
    set the focus anywhere other than the control to hide, which of course you already ...

It might be easier if you just disable the other tabs...
    Only quitters quit!

How would I disable the other tabs? That's really what I would like to do.

Provided Answers: 19
    This will keep your tab visible on the form but everything on the tabbed page is disabled:

YourTabName.Enabled = False

This actually makes the tab "disappear"

YourTabName.Visible = False
    Hope this helps!

The problem with making anything foolproof...is that fools are so darn ingenious!

All posts/responses based on Access 2003/2007