Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Mumbai Blast - An Act of Cowards

Eight bombs exploded in first-class compartments of packed Bombay commuter trains Tuesday, killing 190 people and wounding hundreds in a well-coordinated terror attack on the heart of a city .

Its really an act of cowards,who prefers to target the common innocent people.I want to say them by this forum that -"You cowards just come out from your hideouts and face us.Then I will see what the harm you can do to us.I want to convey this to those terriost that we are not afraid.We shall over come all the obstacles with strength and vigor and now my heart is with all those people who are suffering from this cowardly act."
    And Please pray for those people who have lost their dear and near ones.
    And plz convey your feelings by this post.
    Last edited by rudra; 07-12-06 at 03:44.
    Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm.
    - Sir Winston Churchill
    Joydeep

for more info, check this
    http://www.ndtv.com/breakingnews/default.asp?refno=712200631709PM
    Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm.
    - Sir Winston Churchill
    Joydeep

Terrorists everywhere deserve a special kind of hell.

Attacking military personnel is a bad choice (no one should need to fight/kill to make a point, and if you can't agree with people you should work it out, not try to kill them), but the military exist because sometimes a country needs to defend itself... This implies that they need to expect to be attacked. Attacking an armed combatant isn't significantly different than attacking a member of the military... While they aren't officially recognized as military troops, once they've armed themselves then they've knowingly stepped into the fray and become part of the fight. However, an unarmed civilian is not a fair target for anyone.

I've been in more fire fights than I care to recount. I have never knowingly, and certainly never deliberately killed or wounded an unarmed civilian. I have nothing but disdain for any coward that does such a thing, either directly (as in shooting them) or indirectly (as in planting explosives, poisons, etc).

Killing non-combatants is not the act of a human being... An unusually intelligent animal maybe, but not a human being. When you kill an innocent civilian, you give up your humanity and become a mad animal.

At one point in my life, I was driven by rage on this subject. I wanted to reduce whole cities to glowing pools of liquid glass, thinking that killing the people that would do or condone this kind of behavior was both just and right. If you took out a million or so of their family and neighbors it would make a good example of what that behavior can bring... After I cooled down, I came to realize that while the rage would have been satisfied, that act would have left me in the same position as the foul ex-humans I wanted to punish because it would have killed more innocents than they killed in order to make a point.

We need to hunt those creatures down. Give them fair trial. Then punish them appropriately, or as best as we can manage. While I'm not in favor of capital punishment for humans, I have no problem whatsoever with killing terrorists, and I'd be in favor of finding creative ways that were appropriate to their actions for punishing these creatures.

-PatP

many of my old friends would scoff at me for this, but deep in my heart I know this is right.

a mid 20th century french philosopher named simone weil taught me that every act of of force or coercion upon another person is a corruption of the soul, because the very act of bending someone to your will robs that person of their free will and humanity and makes the victim less than human.

however whenever this kind of thing happens, I feel the fire in my belly and the memories of being rather close to the pentagon on 9/11 and a lifetime of tv images starting with very early memories of the iranian hostage crisis go racing through my head and suddenly I feel that part of human nature that some of us deny and I want to wreak havoc upon all that would do us harm for just being who we are.

So goes the struggle for my soul and I do pray for all of the victims and their families.
    “If one brings so much courage to this world the world has to kill them or break them, so of course it kills them. The world breaks every one and afterward many are strong at the broken places. But those that will not break it kills. It kills the very good and the very gentle and the very brave impartially. If you are none of these you can be sure it will kill you too but there will be no special hurry.” Earnest Hemingway, A Farewell To Arms.

Unquestionably an act of cowardice. Such acts are intended to divide the peoples of the world against one another, but I can only hope that they achieve the opposite; uniting us in the common goals fighting terrorism and creating opportunities to settle disputes by fair and diplomatic means.
    If it's not practically useful, then it's practically useless.

blindman
    www.chess.com: "sqlblindman"
    www.LobsterShot.blogspot.com

What I can not understand is how the terrorists believe they will accomplish whatever goal they are trying to achieve. Seriously, has any terrorist organization actually succeeded? These organizations should be branded as criminals, and hunted down as such. Declaring war on them only gives them a sense of legitimacy.

Anyway, my thoughts are with the folks in Mumbai.

Quote Originally Posted by MCrowley
    Seriously, has any terrorist organization actually succeeded?
    Yes. Well, sort of. Armed resistance has been shown to be succesful in achieving change, though whether terrorism contributed to or hindered the process is open for debate.

I don't think you can say that the autonomy of Northern Ireland would have been achieved if there had not been resistance to British rule. And had the Palestinians NOT engaged in armed conflict against Israeli occupation of their land, their cause would have been forgotten long ago. Even the Jews engaged in organized terrorist attacks against colonial powers in Palestine prior to World War II, including bombings and assasinations. And you would not have to dig to deep or stretch your definition of terrorism too far too find acts of attrocity committed against civilians in both the American Revolution and the American Civil War.

blindman

unfortunately there are some precendents for successful terror campaigns. Before Hamas came and muddied the muddy waters, the PLO was legitimized as a quasi government. Their has been start and stop progress in Northern Ireland and Gerry Adams organization has connections with the IRA.
    “If one brings so much courage to this world the world has to kill them or break them, so of course it kills them. The world breaks every one and afterward many are strong at the broken places. But those that will not break it kills. It kills the very good and the very gentle and the very brave impartially. If you are none of these you can be sure it will kill you too but there will be no special hurry.” Earnest Hemingway, A Farewell To Arms.

True, the autonomy of a lot of nations was gained by a combination of armed resistance, and political efforts. It is just the potential for terrorism to backfire is so great. Consider if the Palestinians restricted all their efforts to the West Bank and/or the Gaza Strip. Would Israelis in Tel-Aviv feel as sympathetic to the settlers from their safe homes and shops?

And yes, the line between terrorism, and Freedom Fighting, or whatever else is far blurrier than any politician will usually admit. Our Terrorist is usually someone else's Freedom Fighter.

Our Terrorist is usually someone else's Freedom Fighter.
    I am going to have to beg to differ here. On NPR, or the newshour or CNN yesterday (news junky? yes) one of the journalists had previously interviewed the head of one of the India based groups that are suspected in this and he said that his motivation seemed to be only to kill Hindi out of ethnic hatred. he said he did not mention kashmir or any of the other usual reasons. Just revenge being treated badly as a muslim in India.

True, the autonomy of a lot of nations was gained by a combination of armed resistance, and political efforts. It is just the potential for terrorism to backfire is so great. Consider if the Palestinians restricted all their efforts to the West Bank and/or the Gaza Strip. Would Israelis in Tel-Aviv feel as sympathetic to the settlers from their safe homes and shops?
    True. If the Palestinians had restricted their attacks to military target over the past two decades, they would have gotten more sympathy for their cause both within the United States and abroad. Unfortunately, civilian targets are commonly chosen, both out of a sense of revenge and because they are softer, easier targets. Let's face it. Americans (and the rest of the world) have always liked easily defined "good guys" and "bad guys", in our movies, in our books, and in our politics. Neither the Israelis nor the Palestinians have yet recognized the advantage to be gained from taking the moral high ground (or at least "higher" ground...).

blindman

How many of you agree with me?
    I think terrorists and politicians are two sides of the same coin...
    I sometimes wonder ,how long the general public will suffer?
    - Sir Winston Churchill
    Joydeep

I have often thought government and organized crime are very similar in many respects. They extort money from you for protection even if you do not want their protection or consent to their governance and they are both apt to use force and coercion against you for acts of defiance.

Oh as soon as I hit the submit reply button, there goes any chance of a security clearance for a number of more years. So much for free speech. This kind of thing costs me dearly.

I had no idea Mafia leaders were chosen by the community. Do they use a popular vote, or some form of the electoral college?

Comparing elected governments to terrorists or organized crime is shameful oversimplification.

blindman

Quote Originally Posted by blindman
    Comparing elected governments to terrorists or organized crime is shameful oversimplification.
    The majority of the politicians use the underworld power to take a major stand in elections.I have heard that in many countries the politicians practise the same tactics to win elections.I mean fair elections are nowadays a dream sequence in many countries.I don't know about US but in India the majority those are coming to politics are having criminal backgrounds.No literate person are nowadays interested in politics.Thats may be a reason that we have so few good people in politics nowadays.
    My quote was in support to that simplification of current political condition.But there are exceptions and we do want that too.
    Politics is an essential tool for democracy but it must be used in a right manner,just like the kicthen knife.Good politicians are always there but the numbers are decreasing nowadays.We always try to dream a heaven but the reality speaks a different story.
    Can we believe this fact that without any political support this so called mafia is existing in our society?
    What do you say Blindman?
    Last edited by rudra; 07-13-06 at 11:42.
    - Sir Winston Churchill
    Joydeep