Unanswered: connecting to oracle 7

Hello,

I'm trying to build a .NET application with a connection to an oracle 7 database and am erroring out on opening the connection. The message I get is 'ORA-00922' Missing or invalid option. My connection string is:

"Driver={Microsoft ODBC for Oracle};Server=wc-mrh.firsthealth.org;Uid=xxxxx;Pwd=xxxxxx;"

with the SID inserted it would be:

"Driver={Microsoft ODBC for Oracle};Server=dmds_wc-mrh.firsthealth.org;Uid=xxxxx;Pwd=xxxxxx;"

is this sufficient? do I need to add the ".world" at the end of the server name as shown on connectionstrings.com? Does that SID need to be displayed? or or do I have to edit the general syntax to work with the older version of Oracle?

Please Help!

Sorry, but I believe the problem is Oracle 7 databases lack a feature that .NET is programmed to look for. The .NET developer guide states the minimum support oracle database version is 817.

I honestly have not seen a .NET with o7 system, so I'm just guessing based on the Oracle docs what the problem might be.

yes, thank you

Oracle conveyed the same message on their forums and, while this wasn't really the answer we were hoping for, it has allowed us to look in other directions and we have found a solution until the client upgrades.