Unanswered: Backing Up databases with Enterprise Manager

Please forgive my ignorance - I'm completely new to MSSQL.

Our office bought a set of Laserfiche licenses and had to also buy MSSQL to handle the database end of things. Part of my job is to make sure everything gets backed up. I want to use Enterprise Manager to back up the databases which seems straightforward enough - even though I've never done it.

Our Network Admin has installed a temporary USB drive to hold our back-ups until a more permanent form of media can be installed. He is using drive compression to maximize the space available. The server sees it as Drive F:

I created a folder on F: to contain my MSSQL Back-ups. Then I opened Enterprise Manager and clicked on SQL Server Group, which contains two databases:

(local) (Windows NT)

and

CYWD_IMAGE/LASERFICHE (Windows NT)

My understanding is that they both have to be backed up.

I clicked on the first one, then selected the Database Maintenence Plan Wizard from the 'Tools' menu. I stepped through the process (choosing 'all databases') until I got to the point where I could specify the back-up directory. I was able to browse right to the folder I created and choose it. I could then finish the process normally. The problem is that when I selected the second database (CYWD_IMAGE/LASERFICHE) and launched the wizard I was unable to browse to my folder. I could choose the F: Drive but no folder showed up under it. Oddly, it would not even show me my D: partition (just thought I'd mention that in case it is somehow relevent).

I don't see any difference in the properties tabs between these two databases. The obvious difference is the name, and that one says (local) and the other does not.

I really don't want to choose to dump the back-up into the root of F:

Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks in advance.

Mac

Provided Answers: 1
    If the plan created by your first Wizard backs up "all databases', why do you need to create a second backup plan?
    If it's not practically useful, then it's practically useless.

blindman
    www.chess.com: "sqlblindman"
    www.LobsterShot.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by blindman
    If the plan created by your first Wizard backs up "all databases', why do you need to create a second backup plan?
    There are two servers under the SQL Servers Group, and each contain multiple databases. As far as I can tell the back-up plan will not span both servers, therefore the need for two plans.

It turns out the second server and it's databases are not currently in use so I lucked out. I am still curious why the second server and it's databases behaved this way, though.

Follow-up question. How to I review the plan I created to make modifications? If I pull up the Maintnence Planner there is no option to review exisiting plans.

Provided Answers: 1
    If the two servers are on different machines, then they will have different drives. You created a folder on the F drive of one machine, but not the other.

To review or edit the maitenance plans, open up the job they created in the SQL Server Agent tab.
    If it's not practically useful, then it's practically useless.

blindman
    www.chess.com: "sqlblindman"
    www.LobsterShot.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by blindman
    If the two servers are on different machines, then they will have different drives. You created a folder on the F drive of one machine, but not the other.

To review or edit the maitenance plans, open up the job they created in the SQL Server Agent tab.

Thanks - the servers both appear to be the same machine. Our other servers do not have external (or network) drives that would evaluate to F: - but it was a good thing to check for!

I was able to locate the SQL Server Agent Tab, I appreciate the information!

I'm sure I'll have other questions later, but I'm set for now.

Be careful not to fill up your harddrive
    Brett
    8-)

It's a Great Day for America everybody!

dbforums Yak CorralRadio 'Rita
    dbForums Member List
    I'm Good Once as I ever was

The physical order of data in a database has no meaning.

Quote Originally Posted by Brett Kaiser
    Be careful not to fill up your harddrive
    Will do - Supposedly I'm going to have to burn off older jobs to dvd to avoid that.

Doesn't sounds like I'll be getting any additional storage drives any time soon, does it?