Unanswered: SELECT from VIEW with UNION ALL goes for a Tablespace Scan instead of using Indexes

Im supporting DB2 v7.1 on OS/390.

SELECT from VIEWs based on UNION ALL of tables is not using Indexes available on the base tables, but instead going for a tablespace scan. EXPLAIN as well as TMON confirm the tablespace scan.

CREATE INDEX T1IX1 ON TABLE1(COLA)
    ;
    CREATE INDEX T2IX1 ON TABLE2(COLA)
    ;
    CREATE VIEW VIEW1
    AS
    (SELECT * FROM TABLE1
    UNION ALL
    SELECT * FROM TABLE2
    )
    ;
    SELECT COLA FROM VIEW1
    WHERE COLA = ?
    ;

TABLE1 and TABLE2 have INDEXes on COLA and runstats are current. These tables have around 10 million records each and the query goes for a tablespace scan and does not use the Indexes on COLA. Any joins on this VIEW based on COLA also go for tablespace scan causing a big performance issue.

I did some research and found that its a known problem with v7.1 and IBM has provided fix in the form of (1) PTF UQ62215 for APAR PQ55393 and (2) PTF UQ54302 for APAR PQ47178. Here are the links:

http://www-1.ibm.com/support/docview...id=swg1PQ55393
    http://www-1.ibm.com/support/docview...id=swg1PQ47178

The real problem, however, is that our System folks have confirmed that we are already at a higher PTF level with FMID HDB7710 which is inclusive of PTFs UQ62215 & UQ54302.

Can anyone please help to figure out what could be missing here. The PTF level of running DB2 was found out by the system folks using SMP/E, though, when I do DIAGNOSE DISPLAY MEPL, I dont see these PTFs in there.

Are there any other PTFs that needs to go on top of this? Or is there some global parameter/ setting that would control this?

Any thoughts would be highly appreciated.

Thanks,

Tablespace Scan

Hi,

How selective is the value you're using for the variable? If it spans more than (roughly) 20% of the table, DB2 will probably not bother to use the index and shoot for a TS scan instead.

Best regards,

Willy

Quote Originally Posted by SA_KU2000
    Im supporting DB2 v7.1 on OS/390.

SELECT from VIEWs based on UNION ALL of tables is not using Indexes available on the base tables, but instead going for a tablespace scan. EXPLAIN as well as TMON confirm the tablespace scan.

CREATE INDEX T1IX1 ON TABLE1(COLA)
    ;
    CREATE INDEX T2IX1 ON TABLE2(COLA)
    ;
    CREATE VIEW VIEW1
    AS
    (SELECT * FROM TABLE1
    UNION ALL
    SELECT * FROM TABLE2
    )
    ;
    SELECT COLA FROM VIEW1
    WHERE COLA = ?
    ;

TABLE1 and TABLE2 have INDEXes on COLA and runstats are current. These tables have around 10 million records each and the query goes for a tablespace scan and does not use the Indexes on COLA. Any joins on this VIEW based on COLA also go for tablespace scan causing a big performance issue.

I did some research and found that its a known problem with v7.1 and IBM has provided fix in the form of (1) PTF UQ62215 for APAR PQ55393 and (2) PTF UQ54302 for APAR PQ47178. Here are the links:

http://www-1.ibm.com/support/docview...id=swg1PQ55393
    http://www-1.ibm.com/support/docview...id=swg1PQ47178

The real problem, however, is that our System folks have confirmed that we are already at a higher PTF level with FMID HDB7710 which is inclusive of PTFs UQ62215 & UQ54302.

Can anyone please help to figure out what could be missing here. The PTF level of running DB2 was found out by the system folks using SMP/E, though, when I do DIAGNOSE DISPLAY MEPL, I dont see these PTFs in there.

Are there any other PTFs that needs to go on top of this? Or is there some global parameter/ setting that would control this?

Any thoughts would be highly appreciated.

Thanks,

Hi, Thanks for your response.

This COLA is part of primary key and has a very high cardinality. When the SELECT is executed only againt TABLE1 or TABLE2, it does use INDEXes and responds in sub-select.

Regards,

Have you raised this issue with IBM folks ?

Sathyaram
    Visit the new-look IDUG Website , register to gain access to the excellent content.

Tablespace Scan

Could we have a look at the table and index definitions? An extract of the stats from the catalog would also be helpful.

Thx!

Willy