Unanswered: Create a table with a field with only Time datatype

Hello experts,
    I want to create a table to store only time in a fileld. There is "DateTime" for my purpose but i dont want to save the Date part only the time part as "12:30:44 AM". I know i can select only time part from Datetime field but i want to save only time.Can anybody help me how can i create that kinda table ?
    hello

Quote Originally Posted by Mahfuz
    Hello experts,
    I want to create a table to store only time in a fileld. There is "DateTime" for my purpose but i dont want to save the Date part only the time part as "12:30:44 AM". I know i can select only time part from Datetime field but i want to save only time.Can anybody help me how can i create that kinda table ?
    See this enigma's post link
    Its a good one ...
    Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm.
    - Sir Winston Churchill
    Joydeep

i dont understand why you are not thinking in terms of a datetime/smalldatetime field by ignoring the date part and whats wrong in it. however, if you are rigid you can store it either as char field or as numeric field (float/decimal). remember you do not actually save anything by doing so.

storing as char field is straight forward. if you want to store as number (remember that each date+time has a numeric representation) can take hints from the following queries

----1 minute as number
    select cast(cast('20060101 11:01 AM' as smalldatetime) as float)- cast(cast('20060101 11:00 AM' as smalldatetime) as float)
    ---it returns approx 0.0006944

----use that to get a date time 20060101 11:00 AM back
    select cast( cast(cast('20060101' as smalldatetime) as float) + (0.0006944*60*11) as smalldatetime)

quite unnecessary....;-)