Question Unanswered: DeleteObject and CopyObject in Multiuser database

I need to be able to Delete and Copy an object within a multiuser access database. At the moment, if any other user is in the database when I try and carry this out I get an error 2501 - Saying the action was cancelled.

Is there any way around this? Thanks
    Nicky Jones

Hi Nicky

By database do you mean a front end and back end solution? Accepted wisdom is that a database should be split into back end (data & tables) and front end (forms, code, reports etc). Each user should then get their own copy of the front end. There have been some recent posts discussing how to distribute. The problem then disappears. I have databases set up like this that merrily create and delete objects to their hearts content.

As a short anwser to your question though - nope - you cannot really do this.

HTH
    Testimonial:
    pootle flump
    ur codings are working excelent.

Hm, unfortunately I have it all in one. Mainly because the data we are worried about is in a series of external files and we only have a relatively small amount of local data. I wanted a single database precisely because of the distribution problems. I have to admit I made a big mistake in using Access front end, I really should have created a web front end for this system. The trouble is I had done so much before realising Access was even worse than I thought it was as an application. The only reason I am trying to take a copy of a form is because I need to do run time editing of the form. No problem with a web page or a VB app, but Access just can't cope. Thanks anyway.
    Nicky Jones

Quote Originally Posted by njjones
    Hm, unfortunately I have it all in one. Mainly because the data we are worried about is in a series of external files and we only have a relatively small amount of local data. I wanted a single database precisely because of the distribution problems. I have to admit I made a big mistake in using Access front end, I really should have created a web front end for this system. The trouble is I had done so much before realising Access was even worse than I thought it was as an application. The only reason I am trying to take a copy of a form is because I need to do run time editing of the form. No problem with a web page or a VB app, but Access just can't cope. Thanks anyway.
    Don't be too hard on Access. I don't fancy it (or more accurately JET) much as a database anymore but as a RAD environment it is excellent (assuming you aren't in need of more advanced stuff or OO). It is much richer than the web (well - classic ASP) and can do most things VB can do. You ever tried creating a report in VB6?

Effectively what I am advocating is that you structure it more like a VB app or a web page i.e. client - server. By putting everything into one your data and UI are too closely associated and you aren't evaluating Access on a level playing field.

Seperating BE and FE is dead simple. New db. Import -> browse to old db -> import all tables. Open old db. Delete all tables. Right click -> Link tables -> browse to new db and select all tables. Your FE works in exactly the same way except your UI is now separated from your data. You can now have one FE per user.

HTH
    Testimonial:
    pootle flump
    ur codings are working excelent.