Unanswered: Can not edit data on form.

Hello to all,

I am pulling up a record on a form. I have a field that is set to a value on a table. I have unlocked the field but it will not allow me to edit the data. Is there any way to correct this? I also created a save record button but when that is clicked it states The command or action 'SaveRecord' isn't available now.

Thank you in advance.

Mythos
    Last edited by Mythos; 07-14-06 at 14:37.

Does your form allow you to edit data? There is a property for that ...
    Back to Access ... ADO is not the way to go for speed ...

from properties

The allow edits on the form properties is set to yes. and record locks is set to No Locks

Thanks

Mythos

Is your form bound to the table or a query based on the table? If it's a query then you might not have enough info for the form to update a record if there's no unique way to identify each record ...
    Back to Access ... ADO is not the way to go for speed ...

Hmm

Well what I do is goto record 10 say and all the fields on the form populate with the field it is associated to and because I went to record 10 the information that is in that record is what is populated in the field.

What I want to do is be able to edit the data. So access is currently in that record and it's pulling that fields information I think I should then be able to change the field text or value or date or what ever and then save the record.

Thanks again hope this better explains what I am doing.

Mythos.

...if bound to a query: open the query directly and see if you can edit it: no for the query also means no for the bound form.

izy
    currently using SS 2008R2

This is what I'm doing.

This is what I'm doing.

DoCmd.GoToRecord , , acFirst
    DoCmd.GoToRecord acDataForm, Me.Name, acGoTo, lngRcrdNumb

and say lngRcrdNumb = 10 so it goes to the 10th record the Name textbox control source is the Name field on the table. There is no querying It's just going to the record.

Hope this is clearer as to what I am doing.

Mythos

???

Anyone Have any ideas as to what the problem is or how to get around it?

Thanks

Mythos.

editing form

I take it the following applies:

1. You can edit information in the corresponding query of the form (as already stated).
    2. The field is enabled and unlocked.
    3. You can edit other records in the form - only when you go to the specific record, you are not allowed to edit the entire record (or is it just this one field?)
    4. Or - you can never edit this field regardless of which record you're on.
    5. You've looked at the goto record command and have no other code which might disable the fields (or this field) within that sub or function.

If you can edit this field on some of the other records but not after going to a specific record, something seems wierd and I'd look at what your goto record routine does in regards to maybe locking this field.

If you can never edit this field no matter what record you're on, is the field's control source set to a field from the query or an equation? If the control source of this field is set to an equation (i.e. = Field1 + Field2) verses the actual field from the query/table, you won't be able to edit this field. I'd also look at the format property of the field or input mask and see if the data you're entering corresponds to the correct formatting/input mask. You may also want to look at the Conditional Formatting to see if there's anything in that which might be causing you a problem. I'd check all the properties of the field. Maybe even re-create the field by dragging over a text control and then set the control source.

Again, is this form bound or unbound? What is the control source for this field?
    Last edited by pkstormy; 07-18-06 at 18:55.
    Expert Database Programming
    MSAccess since 1.0, SQL Server since 6.5, Visual Basic (5.0, 6.0)