Unanswered: Restore Informix database in batch process

Hi all.

I'm very new to the Informix world so please forgive me if this is a simple question.

I would like to know if there is a command that will restore an informix database from one server to a backup server using a batch file. Also, not sure if this makes a difference, but the database will already exist on the backup server. Does this need to be deleted first? If so, what is the command line for that.

Thank you for your help.

ODaniels

Hi,

Informix doesnot take database level backups (ver 10 do take, I guess). So you need to write a script which will do the export of database using dbpexort utility, move all the unl and the sql file to the backup server, drop the existing database and then import from the FTPed files.

Bye

Nitin

Hi.

The backups are already happening nightly. I need to take the backup files and restore them onto a development server. That's the step I need help with. If anyone has the commands on how to drop the database and restore the files to the development server, that would be most helpfull.

Thanks,
    ODaniels

Hi,

You can drop the database by running "drop database db_nm"

once the database is dropped, use

dbimport db_nm -d dbspace_nm

where db_nm is the name of the database which you want to build and dbspace_nm is the name of the dbspace where you want the database to reside. Remember, there should be db_nm.exp directory and it should contain db_nm.sql along with unl files.

Bye

Nitin

if your backup is an exported database, dbimport will work fine. If you have an ontape backup, then you should have the exact production replica of the test env.

If your systems prod and dev are the same as far as onconfig file and dbspace layout then ontape -r is the best and fastest way

I restore my dev system from prod on a weekly basis using ontape, my db is not that big around 10GB and it takes less then an hour

Consider using HADR technlogy!