Question Unanswered: Tables you query don't have to be in the same .mdb file?

I've just inherited some Access 97 code that was not officially turned over to me by the programmer who developed it so in lieu of him I am asking questions to the forum...

When I open the .mdb file and look at some of the queries, they are referencing tables that aren't a part of that same .mdb file. In the past, I have only worked on projects where I had everything wrapped up together - macros, tables, queries, VB code all in the same .mdb. Where else might the tables be and how can I find them???

Thanks,
    Marlene

Hi Marlene

Welcome to the forum

There are a few possibilities for this. Tables may be linked from another file. The programmer may have used hetergeneous queries. He might have been mischievious and the tables could be local but hidden.

Could you post the SQL of one such query as this would be likely to tell us how to go about finding your data.

Also - having the data in a seperate file(s) to the presentation layer\ UI is standard good practice for anything other than a personal database.

HTH
    Testimonial:
    pootle flump
    ur codings are working excelent.

Thank you for inviting me to post the SQL. Unfortunately, I can't.

The first thing getting in my way has to do with permissions. I have brought this code home from a client to work on at home. I saw the SQL yesterday on-site there. Today, as I am trying to work with it on my machine, I get the infamous "you do not have necessary permissions... Have system administrator or person who create object establish the appropriate permissions" when I try to open the db. The client is also having issues with security and wants to eliminate it completely, which is my task. She wants to eliminate the logon screen that asks for an id and p/w.

Someone posted (4 years ago on this forum) that you can create a new db and import the tables from the db that is refusing you permission. But as soon as I try Get External Data...Import... I get the same permissions error.

Thanks for your help and for your interest in my problem!

Marlene

Here I am, replying to my own posts! This is too much like talking to oneself...

Anyway, I did figure out how to create a db and import from the client's db, but the tables and queries are different than the ones I looked at yesterday onsite. So I'll revisit later why I saw queries against tables that weren't physically in that same db.

The more pressing issue is how to get rid of security/logon screens, so if anyone wants to jump in and give me advice on that, I'd appreciate it. I'll be researching that in the hours to come...

Marlene

Are you able (officially or not) to contact the programmer? Do you know if this is MDW security or bespoke security?

If the answer to the latter is "dunno" - could you repeat the import you did to get the tables and queries and check to see if there any code modules, forms or macros?
    Testimonial:
    pootle flump

Security issues are now discussed here:http://www.dbforums.com/showthread.p...=1#post6220311
    Testimonial:
    pootle flump