Unanswered: Please explain or provide help for user-level security

I am trying to eliminate the dialog box that is displayed once I am in Access and want to create a new database. It asks me for an id and password.

I purposely recreated this "problem" for a client who doesn't want this security in place when she opens her database. I am working on my home computer with files from the client, and I joined the workgroup they use and consider myself successful in seeing the dialog box but now I want to eliminate it!

I have read a bit about user-level security such as the following:
    >>
    When users start Access, they enter a name and password in the Logon dialog box. The password confirms user identity by checking the name and password against data in the workgroup information file.
    <<

Is there any documentation available that will help me bypass security? Can I edit the workgroup file?

And I apologize if this topic has already been discussed. I tried to do a search of the forum...it took too long so I canceled. Maybe I'm impatient but there's also a thunderstorm coming and I think we're about to lose power!

Thanks,
    Marlene

Hi Marlene -

Ah - this answers my post on your other thread. I will link it to here - let's stick with one thread eh?

Ok - so it is MDW security. That is not so good. You might be able to crack someone's bespoke security with a little knowledge but I don't know how to crack MS security. The good news is a quick google shows hundreds of sites that offer the service but they are not free. I can't find a freebie on the net. Others here might know. Also - WaynePhilips posts here and is likely to have some knowledge:
    http://www.everythingaccess.com/

HTH
    Testimonial:
    pootle flump
    ur codings are working excelent.

Okay, we will stick with this thread!

Searching the internet last night, this is what I found on http://msdn.microsoft.com/archive/?u...lsecurity.asp:
    >>
    To remove user-level security

1. Make a backup copy of the database you want to remove security from.
    2. Start Microsoft Access and log on as a workgroup administrator (a member of the Admins group).
    3. Open the database.
    4. On the Tools menu, point to Security, then click User And Group Permissions.
    5. In the User And Group Permissions dialog box, give the Users group full permissions on all objects in the database.
    Tip You can select all of the objects in the Object Name box at once by clicking the first item in the list, holding down SHIFT, and then clicking the last item in the list.
    6.Exit and restart Microsoft Access, and then log on as the default Admin user.
    7.Create a new blank database and leave it open.
    8.Import all the objects from the original database into the new database.
    9.If users will be using the current workgroup information file when opening the database, you need to clear the password for the Admin user to turn off the Logon dialog box for the current workgroup. This is not necessary if users will be using the default workgroup information file created when installing Microsoft Access.

The new database is now completely unsecured. Anyone who can open the new database has full permissions on all its objects. This works for any workgroup because the Admin user account and Users group account are the same in every workgroup information file, and all users, including the Admin user, are members of the Users group. The workgroup information file in use when the new database was created in step 7 defines the Admins group for the new database.
    <<

Made me hopeful, until I read your reply . Won't it work? Thanks. I'll be researching more today...

Marlene

Oh - you've got the admin password! Sorry - I ASSumed you didn't have that. In that case you can do anything and everything as normal.
    Testimonial:
    pootle flump
    ur codings are working excelent.

Yes, I do have the necessary id/pw's. Thank God for small favors!

And thank YOU for your help. I was able to recreate and "fix" the problem at home using the instructions above. Let's just hope it behaves the same when I deliver it tomorrow to my client.

Until later -
    Marlene