Unanswered: Paradox maximum records

Hi, can anyone trll me what's the maximum number of
    records that a Paradox table can hold? For the
    latest version, I think it's version 12.

Thanks!

No limit except from hardware

and speed desires.

Hi,

There are limits and it is not dependent on hardware. These limits have not changed for a few years now and in fact date back to around Paradox 7.

The max. number of records in a table can be 2 billion records, however there is a table size limitation that applies regardless of the number of records.

This setting is dependent entirely on the Block size setting in the BDE Administrator when your table was created. A table can have a max. of 65536 blocks, the block size can be set to 1k, 2k, 4k, 16k, 32k, the figures below will give you a very rough idea of the max sizes for your tables depending on the block size you have set:

1k blocks - 64Mb
    2k blocks - 128Mb
    4k blocks - 256Mb
    16k blocks - 1Gb
    32k blocks - 2Gb

rgds
    Jonathan

Johnathan is correct however...

If you don't have the memory or diskspace to process those files sizes at an acceptable speed than the blocksize is irrelevant -- the hardware is ALWAYS limiting if it is inadequate. He asked for the number of records in a table, not the number of transactions that can be processed. Saying the limit is a billion records means that for all practical purposes there is no limit, as you can add more tables to your database as well. Unlike Access, paradox tables are independent of the "database" and so limits are applied to them individually. Take that big phonebook and divide it into A -L, M-Z and you now have a database with 2 billion records and you create an interface which picks the table to access prior to query lookup or updates or steps through them and your block size is an organizational limit to the database not an absolute one. However you are right, if you reach a "limit" you table may not be organized (structured in dbe) efficiently or you database may not be organized efficiently but are those limits? However, if you are sitting with a 20GB hardrive and 128MB or RAM you are limited from the beggining by those factors and you will never need to worry about those block-size imposed limitations

Maroonotmoron,

Your initial answer isn't what cfl asked for. All I did was state/answer the question and also state you may hit another limit before the no. of record limit.

cfl didn't state the hardware or OS being used and given all hardware in the last 5-6 years is capable of handling and hitting these limits comfortably from home or otherwise I simply assumed this would be the case. In terms of transactions I never stated anything about transactions only that a table has a physical size limit which could get hit before the no. records is hit.

Question Earlier versions?

What about version 5.0?

TIA

Bruce