Question Unanswered: help on database setup

hi there

I would like some help in setting up a database.The function of the dbase would be to keep track of material and equipment that would be used on specific job.

quantity of material and equipment used per job and person who drew the material + amount left on bunget per person.More than on type of material could be drawn per job.

any help would be greatly appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by freddiewax
    hi there

I would like some help in setting up a database.The function of the dbase would be to keep track of material and equipment that would be used on specific job.

quantity of material and equipment used per job and person who drew the material + amount left on bunget per person.More than on type of material could be drawn per job.

any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Basic table:

Job Table
    job_id
    job_description

Equipment Table
    eq_id
    eq_description

Material Table
    material_id
    material_description

Person Table
    person_id
    person_name
    material_amt_left

Now the main table that holds your info, can't think of a name, I will call it Overall Table
    overall_id
    job_id
    eq_id
    material_id
    person_id

make sure you deduct away the amount of material used on the person (in Person Table) each time you enter record for Overall Table, and add back in when the record is removed (ie he has returned back the material), if you have limitation of each type of material, then consider to put another field in Material Table to store that amount, of course when someone use it, decrease the amount, depend if it is reusable or not, increase back or not is up to you to decide.

you can also add another field to count how many equipment you have in stock for borrowing, decrease the count when someone is using it, increase back when is returned, and i think equipment is reusable.

of course there always many ways to do a task, someone out there might give better advise.
    Last edited by mkggoh; 07-19-06 at 06:52.

Thanks For Your Quick Response , I Will Try And Work With Your Valuable Input.