Unanswered: Access, Outlook and Netscape

Hi, Guys. I've searched on several forums and haven't found an answer for this particular question. I work for a State agency and they've chosen Netscape Messenger for their maiil client. I was given the assignment of writing code to send an attachment in email to a supervisor. I had done this in Paradox so I knew it wasn't a big deal. I wrote a quick DoCmd.Sendobject line of code and it worked well enough.

But I wanted to see how it worked with MS Outlook. So I set up the Outlook mail client and tried it with that. It ran fine, but my computer burped a few times and ran kind of slow the next time I booted. So I reset the default mail program back to Netscape.

The problem now is Windows XP Professioinal keeps resetting the default mail client back to Outlook every time I reboot.

My question is is there any way in VBA to set the mail client to Netscape before running the code?

TIA.

(I believe the adminstration here chose Netscape because it's less virus prone. They've had massive amounts of trouble with viruses so I don't think they'd appreciate my using Outlook.)

hmmm. I've worked with several companies that use a non-Microsoft email product due to them being less popular targets of hackers and virus authors.

You need to lookup how to prevent XP from reassigning the default mail client. Perhaps there is a setting in Outlook or IE to "Change Default to Outlook when opened", much the same way media players often check to make sure they are the default when opened.

Start here and then try here if you don't find a fix. There were some interesting hits in the second search.

Another option, depending on how code savy you are, is to use the desired email client through automation instead of relying on SendObject to get it right.

tc

Emailing

If it doesn't matter much on which email client you use, you might want to investigate a free email client called "Blat". It was small, free and easy to install and the vba code was fairly easy to write including sending attachments with it. Just another option. Maybe someone has a critique on blat as I haven't seen any real posts on it. We used it in place of outlook (although we still used outlook as the main email client but always got the message box saying something to the effect of "You are sending an attachment which may contain viruses....do you want to proceed...select Yes or No...") when using the sendobject command with an attachment. Anyone have experience/feedback other than myself with blat?
    Last edited by pkstormy; 07-19-06 at 13:33.
    Expert Database Programming
    MSAccess since 1.0, SQL Server since 6.5, Visual Basic (5.0, 6.0)

Everything I've tried takes me back to the same Internet Connection box you access in Control Panel. It takes the reassignment of Messenger but when I reboot, it changes to IE.

The last line in your message is what I'm looking for; coding to set Netscape as the mail client. I worked with Paradox ObjectPal for about fifteen years so I'm well versed in coding, I just don't know the VBA commands. All the coding samples I've seen assume Outlook is the mail client. I'd like to find a coding shell that lets me designate the mail client as Netscape.

Quote Originally Posted by tcace
    hmmm. I've worked with several companies that use a non-Microsoft email product due to them being less popular targets of hackers and virus authors.

You need to lookup how to prevent XP from reassigning the default mail client. Perhaps there is a setting in Outlook or IE to "Change Default to Outlook when opened", much the same way media players often check to make sure they are the default when opened.

Start here and then try here if you don't find a fix. There were some interesting hits in the second search.

Another option, depending on how code savy you are, is to use the desired email client through automation instead of relying on SendObject to get it right.

tc

Well, this is a state agency and we're locked into using Nescape, which is fine. The problem is I ran the Wizard to setup Outlook. Before that, the computer didn't know it existed. Now that it's "on the map," Access wants to use it.

Our Netscape mail is set up in a batch file when we boot up, so that's no problem. The only problem is telling Access not to use Outlook.

Quote Originally Posted by pkstormy
    If it doesn't matter much on which email client you use, you might want to investigate a free email client called "Blat". It was small, free and easy to install and the vba code was fairly easy to write including sending attachments with it. Just another option. Maybe someone has a critique on blat as I haven't seen any real posts on it. We used it in place of outlook (although we still used outlook as the main email client but always got the message box saying something to the effect of "You are sending an attachment which may contain viruses....do you want to proceed...select Yes or No...") when using the sendobject command with an attachment. Anyone have experience/feedback other than myself with blat?

Access and Outlook

Not sure if this will help but here's the vba code used to bypass Outlook and use Blat as emailing out. Maybe you can use it and somehow change some of the parameters to use Netscape verses Outlook.

Public Sub EmailFunction(fromVar As String, ToVar As String, server As String, fileToSend As String, OverrideBody As String, subject As String)
    Dim x As String

p_blat_location = "c:\blat.exe"

x = p_blat_location & " " & fileToSend & " -s " & Chr(34) & subject & Chr(34) & _
    " -t " & ToVar & " -f " & fromVar & " -server " & server

If Len(OverrideBody) > 0 Then

x = x & " -body " & Chr(34) & OverrideBody & Chr(34)

End If

'debug
    'x = x & " -debug -log c:\blat.log -timestamp"

Debug.Print x

Shell x, vbHide

End Sub
    Expert Database Programming
    MSAccess since 1.0, SQL Server since 6.5, Visual Basic (5.0, 6.0)

I have zero experience with Netscape.

But, if you go into a code window and choose Tools > References you then check off Netscape. Once referenced, you then press F2 to pull up the "object browser".

You can use this to investigate the objects, methods, etc. that Netscape has available for coding with.

Also, try searching the web with different keywords (THIS for example provides some interesting results).

Sorry I can not be more help - I've always used Outlook for this.

tc