Unanswered: MSSQL Database Server Expired !

Several months ago I installed what I thought was an unlimited license of MSSQL Database Server 2000. This weekend the database expired. What can I do? I don't want to lose the data. If I attempt to reinstall the software, will that work? We are in the process in purchasing the software but not for a few months. The database is used to store and retrieve data in our OutStart server. Any idea is helpful.

Provided Answers: 11
    Depending on your workload, you could potentially download a copy of MSDE, and install that. Use sp_attach_db to get the databases attached. The logins will be a lot trickier. You will have to re-create those by hand, and possibly re-map them in MSDE.

Lightbulb

If I attempt to reinstall the software, will that work?
    If it's the same trial version, it will not works.
    What can I do? I don't want to lose the data
    Go to the Data folder where you installed the Microsoft SQL Server (e.g.: C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL\Data\), then copy your database (2 files which have the same name of ur database). You'll get a backup of your database.
    Another powerful thing; the trial version of Microsoft SQL Server can be easily cracked: using the batch file (it's easy but I don't have any idea, ask for it), you can 100% run the sql server service manager and work normally after the expiration date.

you can install the same application in another machine and then copy those datafiles from the location as described in the last post, attach (just by right clicking on the database in EM) them in the new machine and start working till this trial period expires.

Provided Answers: 6
    this is really bad and really illegal but there is a way to get around those trial versions with most software packages if you know how to manipulate the registry.

I do not reccomend this because first I get paid to write software, and to not be a hypocrite I pay for software now that I can afford it. Things were a little different in my younger and penniless days. Second, if you do not know what you are doing you can definitly screw up your machine and that would not be good on a production database box. If you want free database software, there are options out there.
    “If one brings so much courage to this world the world has to kill them or break them, so of course it kills them. The world breaks every one and afterward many are strong at the broken places. But those that will not break it kills. It kills the very good and the very gentle and the very brave impartially. If you are none of these you can be sure it will kill you too but there will be no special hurry.” Earnest Hemingway, A Farewell To Arms.

Provided Answers: 1
    If this software is important to your business, then you need to purchase it now. Not in several months...
    If it's not practically useful, then it's practically useless.

blindman
    www.chess.com: "sqlblindman"
    www.LobsterShot.blogspot.com