Thread: Number of pages

Unanswered: Number of pages

Hi All,

How to estimate the number of pages there should be in the index? Thanks.

Provided Answers: 6
    well a page is 8 kb. each page has a 96 byte header. it would roughly depend on the size of datatypes involved in your index times the number of rows divided by the size of a page minus the size of the header.
    “If one brings so much courage to this world the world has to kill them or break them, so of course it kills them. The world breaks every one and afterward many are strong at the broken places. But those that will not break it kills. It kills the very good and the very gentle and the very brave impartially. If you are none of these you can be sure it will kill you too but there will be no special hurry.” Earnest Hemingway, A Farewell To Arms.

Quote Originally Posted by Thrasymachus
    well a page is 8 kb. each page has a 96 byte header.
    Have you just taken some MS exams? I did not know the size of the page header.

Sean - do you need to account for fill factor?
    Testimonial:
    pootle flump
    ur codings are working excelent.

Quote Originally Posted by pootle flump
    Have you just taken some MS exams? I did not know the size of the page header.

Sean - do you need to account for fill factor?
    yes.

and it depends. I believe the fillfactor is only valid when it comes to space when the index is first created.
    “If one brings so much courage to this world the world has to kill them or break them, so of course it kills them. The world breaks every one and afterward many are strong at the broken places. But those that will not break it kills. It kills the very good and the very gentle and the very brave impartially. If you are none of these you can be sure it will kill you too but there will be no special hurry.” Earnest Hemingway, A Farewell To Arms.

yes.
    I know - I was being factitious. Should have winked. I was impressed you had that figure to hand

and it depends. I believe the fillfactor is only valid when it comes to space when the index is first created.
    and when there is a page split. So I guess it is a factor but would depend from page to page. Perhaps checking page density would be a consideration.

EDIT - I am probably back to your "divide by size of page" there I think. Ho hum.
    Testimonial:
    pootle flump
    ur codings are working excelent.

Quote Originally Posted by pootle flump
    I know - I was being factitious.
    Sorry. I am humorless today. I am on a long string of 11 to 12 hour days and there was not a weekend last week. 2 weeks until phase one of the company's top priority project goes to QA. 2 months until vacation after said project ships. If I live that long.