Unanswered: Can you restore online backup without roll forward?

Book says I can't, but how do you get around this?

Julie

You can roll foward to the minimum recovery time that occured during the backup, but you must roll forward because there is no database consistancy without it when restoring an on-line backup. You will need the logs that were active during the backup (which would be part of the backup if used the include logs parm in the backup command).

The only other way to restore an on-line backup without rolling forward is to call IBM support.
    M. A. Feldman
    IBM Certified DBA on DB2 for Linux, UNIX, and Windows
    IBM Certified DBA on DB2 for z/OS and OS/390

Is this a specific problem you are facing ?

Or is it something you would want to do regularly in the future ?

Oh, before anything else, are you talking about DB2 ? There is hardly any product info in your posting ... Why not give info on your version, fixpack, platform etc

Sathyaram
    Visit the new-look IDUG Website , register to gain access to the excellent content.

DB2 UDB v8.2, Solaris, single partition, active-passive cluster and stand alone. In addition to our bcv backups IBM recommended doing daily db2 backup utility backups where we can confirm the backup is good. I am testing backup/recovery, test case of recovering to current day's backup and got the error. I am new to UDB but on z/Os, I regularly have to go back to image copies for users.

If you are on 8.2, I recommend using INCLUDE LOGS option in the backup command, which includes the minimum number of logs that will be required to resote the backup image ...

You can restore the database using the image and the logs to a directory ... Following the restorem issue the ROLLFORWARD COMMAND, listing the above directory as OVERFLOW LOG PATH and rollforward to end of logs ...

Unfortunately, there is no option to say 'WITHOUT ROLLING FORWARD' for an online backup

Sathyaram
    Visit the new-look IDUG Website , register to gain access to the excellent content.

Thank you very much.

Julie

you can try the db2 " ? RECOVER database ".

which is a single step command: not like the 1> RESTORE and then 2> Rollforward.

Thanks,
    Jayanta Datta
    New Delhi, India

Thank you. We will play with that. We have tested using milliseconds after the BCV to roll forward to.
    Julie