Thread: Locked out!!

Unanswered: Locked out!!

I seem to have locked myself out of my app

I created the "AllowBypass" property and then disabled it. Of course, to be serure, I also use a startup form, disallow special keys and hide the database window.

I had a "back door" but I accidently locked it.

Now what can I do?

tc

Hello Tc!

Don't worry, help is comming.
    Look at "POMOCNIa2000.mdb",
    Modules, StartUp. Put PATH NAME of your mdb, and start
    Sub SetStartupProperties. After try to enter in your mdb with SHIFT.
    Attached Files Attached Files

DAMN!!!! Stef got to it 1st ... And here I was gonna say "bend over and kiss your ass goodbye" ...
    Back to Access ... ADO is not the way to go for speed ...

Provided Answers: 19
    tcace,

Now you know why the first three rules of programming are:

1) Backup
    2) Backup
    3) Backup
    Hope this helps!

The problem with making anything foolproof...is that fools are so darn ingenious!

All posts/responses based on Access 2003/2007

...a candidate 1st rule of paranoid access coding:

startup detects if MDE or MDB and auto-lockdown if MDE.
    from then on forget tricky superuser backdoors - your dev MDB is never locked (and you are never locked out), your distribution MDE is always locked after first use - and you always test-run the MDE before distributing, no?

izy
    currently using SS 2008R2

Quote Originally Posted by izyrider
    startup detects if MDE or MDB and auto-lockdown if MDE.
    from then on forget tricky superuser backdoors - your dev MDB is never locked (and you are never locked out), your distribution MDE is always locked after first use - and you always test-run the MDE before distributing, no?
    You sorted out a solution to your super-paranoid MDE detection Izy?
    And um.... no I don't typically test my mde pre distribution

BTW - assuming you don't lock your self out of the code window (and why would you if you are sending out an mde?) you can just undo all your security from the immediate window anyway. I realised that after having to rebuild my secure db from a backup for the 20th time
    Testimonial:
    pootle flump
    ur codings are working excelent.

hi poots,

sure! fully sorted, very pretty if i say so myself, no brain required (essential in my case).
    is now part of my standard startup (joins our friend Wayne's 0.0 triumph in the add from GUID, and a good dozen other thingies that i have mused about on this site over the years)

even if you don't run your .MDE before distributing (possibly an unwise choice since there are differences in error handling (tho 'tis true that MDE typically handles errors more sensibly than MDB)), it locks down on first use so the ungodly need a virgin MDE to be able to get their fingers under a loose corner.

izy

Quote Originally Posted by izyrider
    fully sorted, very pretty if i say so myself, no brain required (essential in my case).
    <ot>I've read enough of your posts not to be fooled by that bit of modesty.

So you have an app that can tell for certain what it is and can be relied upon to sort out its own references without interference? It is self aware and independent - jolly good show.

I was being a little flippant - I tend to run & test mdes for my private clients but internal stuff can be updated 6+ times a day sometimes so my post compilation QA is waiting for the punters to complain.

The stuff that pays for holidays gets a full workout. The bread and butter is chucked out of the trenches and I just pull on my hard had and hunker down </ot>
    Testimonial:
    pootle flump
    ur codings are working excelent.

well, not quite "self-aware" yet - i'm keeping that final step for my Nobel prize (what's the URL? i don't see the application form on nobel.com LATER nononononono, that's some mobile phone guff - nobelprize.org).

izy
    Last edited by izyrider; 07-21-06 at 13:06.

[Quote-izy]The stuff that pays for holidays gets a full workout. The bread and butter is chucked out of the trenches and I just pull on my hard had and hunker down [/quote]

LOL - how thrue that is! Although, I now find myself in a place where I actually have to use some of the software I develop!!!!! That will shore up your "attention to usability" right quick!

I have unlocked my project and was able to go to bed (it was almost 3 AM here when I posted) without thinking I lost 5 hours of work.

Thanks for all the feedback.

PS: what does "test-run the MDE before distributing" mean anyway?

tc

first: it means that you test what you actually distribute!
    just because you-as-coder have played happily in the MDB sandpit for a few days doesn't mean that it's going to work out for the users - although MDE is generally more sure than MDB (or the make fails), it strikes me as close-to-daft to do all your testing on MDB and then distribute an untested MDE to the users.

second: it is an essential part of my lockdown scheme (since MDEs lock themselves the first time they run) so my process 'forces' me to run my MDEs prior to distribution.

first & second combine to a 'good thing' from my perspective.

izy

Provided Answers: 19
    izyrider is right! You've GOT to take an MDE file out for a full test drive before distributing! MDEs are unforgiving, compared to MDBs. An untrapped error in an in an MDB throws an error message that's (at least partially) informative about the problem. An untrapped error in an MDE simply shuts down the application!
    Hope this helps!

The problem with making anything foolproof...is that fools are so darn ingenious!

All posts/responses based on Access 2003/2007

ok, ok. I was kidding about testing. What happened to me is that I violated a golden rule: back up before compacting.

About one second after pressing the compact command I realized my mistake: the code to lock it down was in the startup form, but the "back door" was not enabled and as we all know, compact reopens the DB afterwards and runs the startup options. It was a "2:30 AM lapse in brain cell connectivity".

tc

Always hold he left shift key down when compacting! Even with the code to disable it you usually get one chance to open the database with the left shift key down.
    :-|