Unanswered: A mock Auction tool in Access 97

Hi All. I was wondering if anybody has ever seen or heard an Access DB that is used as training tool.

My objective is to set up a db that will have 3 users involved in a Mock Auction.

Two bidders that will enter 3 values for specific lots within' a 10 min timespan.

The other user will be the monitor. He/she will start the timer and add 2 minutes if an extended time is neccessary.

My first thought is to have seperate forms connected to seperate tables and everytime they enter values into the lots, they will have a SUBMIT button that logs the record to a SUBMIT Table and resets the lot fields. They will continue to bid throughout the time allotted. As soon as the time reaches 00:00:00, I want both user forms locked.

1. Is this possible?
    2. If so, is it possible to lock fields on a timer?

1. Is this possible?

Of course it is; almost anything is possible with enough code!

2. If so, is it possible to lock fields on a timer?

Yes it is. See first answer.

ok, you can do anything you want in code on a timer using the form's built in timer event. Since you want it to be locked remotely on the timer of a different form presumably in a different front end, you'll have to be creative.

My first thought is to put an on timer event that fires every second or so and checks the value, perhaps a Yes/No field, in a table. You trigger your "time is up" event routine off that filed the timer sub checks.

Meanwhile, in a different front end, you have a button that sets the value of that field to Yes or no.

It's sloppy, may cause breif delays depending on how bad your network is and won't stop both front ends at exactly the same time, but for a training app, it's pretty close.

If you wait a bit, other ideas will follow, I'm sure.

tc