Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Unanswered: Converted, now it can't find a form

We converted a database from A97 to 2003 and I get the following error when I run the A2K app:
    The form name "abc" is mispelled or refers to a form that doesn't
    exist.

True, the form does not exist (at least I don't see it anywhere). However, this form "didn't exist" in A97 either but somehow was found ok when that app was run.

Sorry, I'm not the original developer so I don't know too much about the design. Where else can a form that's not physically in an Access db be?

Thanks,
    Marlene

Hi

You converted from 97 to 2003 and now run it with 2000 correct?
    Testimonial:
    pootle flump
    ur codings are working excelent.

Pootle Flump -
    My apologies, I forget how important it is to state the version of Access we're using. And so far in my experience, Access 2000 and 2003 are "the same" so I only differentiate between 97 and the new versions. Would it make a difference in this case?
    Anyway, the db was originally Access 97. It was converted to 2003 at work. It has the error in 2003. When I bring the db home to work on it, I am running either 2000 or 2002 and it has the error. The error happens both at work and at home, which is why I didn't think it matter which 200? version it is.
    Any ideas?

Maybe someone could also advise me - if a form referred to in a db is not in that db, where else might it be? My customer has a feeling some source code (not necessarily VBA source, probably form "source") is missing. But the db is an .mdb file, has no back-end (which would only account for tables, not forms, anyway) and has not been compiled. So the source code must be somewhere, right???

Access 2000 + are kind of a close knit family compared to the second cousin that is A97. However you still need to work on the lowest common denominator. If your db is to be used by 2000 or XP users the format needs to be of the relevent format (2000 or XP). If all your users are 2003 then 2003 format is fine.

What is the real name of the form? This may be relevent.
    When does the error appear? At start up? When you do something?

Do a Find in your code (ctrl + F). Search for the form name and remember to select entire project. If the problem is at start up also check for a macro called Auto Exec and check that. I think a module called Main might need checking too (can't remember if that is just VB6.0). Also check Tools -> Startup -> Display Form\ Page.
    Testimonial:
    pootle flump

Also remember that forms can be hidden in the database window so check the Display Hidden Objects box (Tools -> Options -> View Tab)
    Testimonial:
    pootle flump

Pootle Flump - Thank you again for staying on this with me.

The name of the form is "X Numbers Form". I open the database by selecting its icon and saying Open With and using Access 97 (which I installed last night on my PC at home). It starts fine and displays the app's Main Menu. I press one of the buttons and go to another form where there is a drop-down list of choices. I highlight one and press the Go button which displays "X Numbers Form" (remember, Access 97 is the db that doesn't get the error). Duplicating this same action in Access 2000/03 fails - "X Numbers Forms" doesn't exist.

Also, something I just noticed, the first two forms have titles, such as Main Menu, while the 3rd says Read Only Mode. I don't know if that's unusual, or if it's what the developer wanted it to say, or it's the default if the developer didn't explicitly set a title, or what it means. Just because a form is r/o shouldn't affect its ability to be imported, right?

One last point, which I also documented in a new thread I started when I noticed the problem seemed to be when I imported and the form wasn't there to select for importing, is that I can right-click in Access 97 when I successfully get to the form, but the Access menus/toolbars aren't available to me so I have no tools to use to look around from there.

Thanks,
    Marlene

So in A97 the "X Numbers Form" opens but it doesn't exist? Presumably by doesn't exist you mean you can't see it in the db window?
    Testimonial:
    pootle flump

Another clue:
    In design mode on the dialog previous to the one in error, when I look at that dialog's properties, specifically its Go button's properties, I see a macro is run. The Action of this macro is OpenForm. When I go to the list of forms that OpenForm has a choice of running, "X Numbers Form" IS NOT IN THE LIST! Why not? Probably the same reason it's not in the list of forms I can import when I select this db to get external data from. Then how is it able to run in the working version of this db???

Hi Marlene

Please could you run through the questions in my last couple of posts and answer them for me? They will help me orientate where we stand
    Testimonial:
    pootle flump

Pootle Flump -
    Sorry, we overlapped replies there.

You wrote >> So in A97 the "X Numbers Form" opens but it doesn't exist? Presumably by doesn't exist you mean you can't see it in the db window? <<

Right now, I can't see any db window, that ability has been removed from me. (I am contacting the person I am supporting to see if she can get me a copy of this same database with a db window I can see). By "doesn't exist" I mean I get an error, not in the A97 version at all, but in the A2K version. The A97 version works perfectly. This problem didn't unearth itself until conversion. However, in the A97 version, when I try to create a macro (which I can do, by getting in "through the back door" (r-click while running and get into design mode)), if the action I select is OpenForm, that form is not in the list with all the other forms (which by the way were imported).

Am I making myself clear?

Quote Originally Posted by M Mock
    Right now, I can't see any db window, that ability has been removed from me.
    Check Tools-> Startup -> Show Database Window. Also when the form opens, try pressing File -> Save As and see what it's name is. Also, does this form contain any subforms?

Quote Originally Posted by M Mock
    Am I making myself clear
    Perfectly
    Testimonial:
    pootle flump

PF-
    In my next post, I will extract all your questions and answer them. I'll be back in about half an hour, after I bring my daughter to summer school!

thx.

PF -
    Continuing from earlier...
    >> What is the real name of the form? This may be relevent.
    When does the error appear? At start up? When you do something?

Do a Find in your code (ctrl + F). Search for the form name and remember to select entire project. If the problem is at start up also check for a macro called Auto Exec and check that. I think a module called Main might need checking too (can't remember if that is just VB6.0). Also check Tools -> Startup -> Display Form\ Page.
    >>

The real name of the form is "X Numbers Form".

It is the 3rd dialog in the logical flow of dialogs. I press a command button on the 2nd form to go to it after making a selection from the 2nd form's listbox.

I was able to do a ctrl+F in the code with the radio button for Current Database chosen (which I assume is what you meant by searching the entire project). It found two occurrences. They look like this:

Private Sub Command1_Click()
    Dim stDocName As String
    Dim stLinkCriteria As String

stDocName = "X Numbers Form"
    DoCmd.OpenForm stDocName, , , stLinkCriteria
    End Sub

Private Sub Button_Go_Click()
    Dim stDocName As String
    Dim stLinkCriteria As String

stDocName = "X Numbers Form"
    DoCmd.OpenForm stDocName, , , stLinkCriteria

End Sub

I cannot check Tools -> Startup -> Display Form\ Page yet...I am hoping for a "developer's version" of this db later today (but that might be moot since the error is not at startup).

You also wrote:
    >> Also remember that forms can be hidden in the database window so check the Display Hidden Objects box (Tools -> Options -> View Tab)
    <<

Again, I don't have a tools menu. But that idea does seem like it will tell me something so I hope to try it later with a developer's version of the db.

>> when the form opens, try pressing File -> Save As <<
    The File menu option does not have a Save operation. I believe the original developer(s) must have disabled standard Access menus and are using their own. It's very frustrating being presented a user's version of the app when I need to debug it!

Regarding subforms, I don't know if it has any. I don't believe I have any experience with subforms (at least not in recent memory) so I'm not sure how to check.

Thanks! Sorry to take up so much of your time!

There are ways round all these things but probably best to wait until you get a proper version. Let us know if you have problems and then we can go through the steps to unlock the db.
    Testimonial:
    pootle flump