Question Unanswered: SQL query fails w/Access but works with MS SQL Server

I am getting a failure with a SQL query executed against an Access *.mdb file using the latest ODBC driver (4.0) with the following message:

ERROR [42000] [Microsoft][ODBC Microsoft Access Driver] Syntax error (missing operator) in query expression '(COUNT(*)=13) AND SUM (CASE WHEN ChannelID IN(0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12) THEN 1 END) = 13'.

The full text of the SQL command is as follows:

SELECT SchemaID FROM DlSchemaTable GROUP BY SchemaID HAVING(COUNT(*)=13) AND SUM (CASE WHEN ChannelID IN(0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12) THEN 1 END) = 13

There is nothing special about the database schema (I could reproduce the problem easily with a simple database).

This particular query (and some background about what/why/how/etc.) can be found in this thread in the "SQL" forum. I'd be very grateful for any insights as to why it is failing with MS Access when it works perfectly fine with MS SQL Server (and is good, ANSI SQL).

Kamen
    Last edited by KamenG; 07-25-06 at 17:50. Reason: Icon

Provided Answers: 6
    Access SQL does not support the CASE statement. You can use IIf() as a replacement.
    Paul

That is weird stuff... Everybody redefines their own rules when it comes to databases!
    Kamen
    Last edited by KamenG; 07-25-06 at 18:44.

Provided Answers: 6
    I wouldn't have suggested it if you couldn't. Note I said the IIf() function, not the VBA If/Then statement.
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by KamenG
    That is weird stuff... Everybody redefines their own rules when it comes to databases!
    why are you surprised?

the nice thing about SQL standards is that there are so many to choose from!

rudy.ca | @rudydotca
    Buy my SitePoint book: Simply SQL