View Poll Results: Which one is smarter too use for any occasion

Voters
0. You may not vote on this poll
  • Full text where its easy to read

0 0%
  • limited char with ref, like varchar(2) easy to read and not so big

0 0%
  • Integer with reference table hard to read but better on the data consumption

0 0%
  • bit for all diferent options lots of fields and could make mistakes if only one mandotary

0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Unanswered: 2 structural questions for picking field type

Hi all,

Hi am creating a new database not sure which way is the best way to go. Here are the questions

I have a history table which has its an identity field and an identification field which shows what type of history field it is. As in payment, printout, change and so on.... For this field should i use
    Full text which has the payment, printout, change and so on and make it easy on the eye and for queries and coded to use the same text all the time
    have varchar(2) type of field which holds an understandable field PR, PO, CH and a reference table for it as in PR= PAYMENT, PO = Printout, CH as in change and so on
    or have a integer field as in 1, 2, 3 and ref. table 1=payment, 2 = printout, 3=change and so on
    I have a address table which holds multiple types of addresses which are really limited count maybe upto 4 different types
    have a integer field which links to a reference table as above
    have bit fields which can be used to check if it gets in one of the group types
    have a full text option like above
    Im open for any type of suggestions and i would love to hear the reasons why its picked TY

"have varchar(2) type of field which holds an understandable field PR, PO, CH and a reference table for it as in PR= PAYMENT, PO = Printout, CH as in change and so on

or have a integer field as in 1, 2, 3 and ref. table 1=payment, 2 = printout, 3=change and so on "

These two are the better choices as cross reference table. You don't want to start writing large text out just to do it. More so if the user is free to put it in themselves. this is where mistakes happen and things get messy.