Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Exclamation VBA open filtered query

I have a form with a drop down box, from which the user has the option to pick a name, once the name has been selected, the user clicks the button that triggers the following code

DoCmd.OpenReport "rptDriver", , , qryDriver.Driver = "'& cboDriver.Value &'"

this code returns the error "object required"

what i am trying to do is, open a report, and filter this report according to the name selected, by passing the selection through the underlying query of the report.

Driver field is a text field as is the field to be selected from the combo box

need help urgently

In query put Criteria: [Forms]![YourFormName]![FieldName]
    and
    DoCmd.OpenReport "rptDriver"

I should have been more clear

the selection from the combo box is not manadatory, so the user can opt not to choose a driver, in that event placing any paramaters in the query will throw an exception

i need the filter to run from the form, so that it does not disrupt the query, if the user leaves the driver combo blank

In that case in qury Criteria put:
    Like [Forms]![YourFormname]![fieldname] & "*"

GENIUS!

thanks a heap, that works a treat

Just a tiddler:

if the field is null the record will never be returned. I tend to use:

NZ(MyField, "") Like [Forms]![YourFormname]![fieldname] & "*"
    Testimonial:
    pootle flump
    ur codings are working excelent.

I am hoping someone can help me with this...

I am attempting to do the same as databaseman has mentioned except the fact that I have four drop down menus that feed criteria in a query that are set-up in an and functionality.

When I use the solution specified by MStef-ZG it returns all of the data in the underlying table no matter what options are selected in the combo boxes.

Thanks

Can you post your SQL?
    Testimonial:
    pootle flump

Sure the code is included below... hope it makes some sense... note also that this is an append query but I can always change the query type if that makes it too complicated to look at.

Code:
    INSERT INTO tblWorkingData ( GTC, Item, ItemDesc, MfgLoc, DmdQty, OpNum, OpDesc, WorkCenter, WorkCenterDesc, HrsPer100 )
    SELECT tblItems.GTC, tblItems.Item, tblItems.Desc, tblItems.MfgLoc, tblItems.DemandQty, tblRoutings.OpNum, tblRoutings.OpDesc, tblRoutings.WorkCenter, tblWorkCenters.GeneralDesc, tblRoutings.Hours
    FROM (tblItems INNER JOIN tblRoutings ON tblItems.Item = tblRoutings.Item) INNER JOIN tblWorkCenters ON tblRoutings.WorkCenter = tblWorkCenters.WorkCenter
    WHERE (((tblItems.GTC) Like [Forms]![frmDataSelector]![GTCLimit] & "*") AND ((tblItems.MfgLoc) Like [Forms]![frmDataSelector]![MfgLocLimit] & "*") AND ((tblRoutings.WorkCenter) Like [Forms]![frmDataSelector]![WorkCenterLimit] & "*") AND ((tblWorkCenters.GeneralDesc) Like [Forms]![frmDataSelector]![OperationTypeSelector] & "*"));

That looks fine to me. Should work. Try removing the top line and run (i.e. make it a select query). Make changes to a combo, tab out of the combo and run. Are you sure it doesn't filter?
    Testimonial:
    pootle flump

I changed it back to a select query and it still behaves the same way. Yes I am as sure as I can be that it doesn't filter... I know for a fact the total number of records in the base table and I get that same record count when I pull the query.

Is your control bound to a different column than the one displayed?

What happens if you change your SQL to;
    Code:
    SELECT [Forms]![frmDataSelector]![GTCLimit] AS TheCombo FROM (tblItems INNER JOIN tblRoutings ON tblItems.Item = tblRoutings.Item) INNER JOIN tblWorkCenters ON tblRoutings.WorkCenter = tblWorkCenters.WorkCenter WHERE (((tblItems.GTC) Like [Forms]![frmDataSelector]![GTCLimit] & "*") AND ((tblItems.MfgLoc) Like [Forms]![frmDataSelector]![MfgLocLimit] & "*") AND ((tblRoutings.WorkCenter) Like [Forms]![frmDataSelector]![WorkCenterLimit] & "*") AND ((tblWorkCenters.GeneralDesc) Like [Forms]![frmDataSelector]![OperationTypeSelector] & "*"));
    Testimonial:
    pootle flump

All of my selection combo boxes are bound to column one. I am pretty sure this is right seeing as how each combo box only contains either one column or one data column and a limiting where criteria

Sorry I didn't see the code you attached in your last reply before I reposted.

I will try out the change but do I need to change that commans Ascombo? I don't recognize it...

On a side note it does filter properly when the Like ___ "*" comments are removed from the filter criteria but I run into the same problem as the previous poster in that I need to allow some of the cmobo boxes to be left blank...