Unanswered: Changing SQL Server Logon Config.

When I installed MS SQL Server 2000 on our client's computer I installed it under a local account using Windows Authentication as the server logon and am now accessing it using a network login (remoting into the same box). The result is that if I change the password for the local Windows account and reboot the server, SQL server cannot be restarted; I get an error:

A connection could not be established to (LOCAL)

Reason: SQL SERVER does not exist or access denied.
    ConnectionOpen (Connect())..

Please verify SQL Server is running and check your SQL Server registration properties and try again.

I've changed the registration properties to use SQL Server Authenticaiton instead of Windows to no avail. Whichever connection option I use the server will not start unless I change the local account's password back to what it was when I installed. This works, but our client wants to have that local account's password changed for security/peace of mind. Any help or advice would be appreciated here

Thank you

on the wrong server
    Provided Answers: 6
    I always use a dedicated domain account for many reasons. exchange integration, access to file servers etc... and you should set that domain account to never have a password that never expires.
    “If one brings so much courage to this world the world has to kill them or break them, so of course it kills them. The world breaks every one and afterward many are strong at the broken places. But those that will not break it kills. It kills the very good and the very gentle and the very brave impartially. If you are none of these you can be sure it will kill you too but there will be no special hurry.” Earnest Hemingway, A Farewell To Arms.

In front of the computer
    Provided Answers: 54
    Quote Originally Posted by Thrasymachus
    ... and you should set that domain account to never have a password that never expires.
    I suspect that you might have "over nevered" here. I would want the domain account to have a password that never expired (or I'd create a single application to change the service passwords and the AD password, all in one swell foop).

I'm afraid I don't quite get what you're saying here. The domain login is to stay the same in this case. It is the local account that the sql server installation is tied to that must have its password altered. The problem is that upon altering the password in Windows, SQL server will not start up the instance, giving that invalid logon message. Sorry to say that I'm still at a loss here.