Question Unanswered: Cataloging Nodes and database problems

Hi folks ...

Once again I have done something wrong! We had created the SAMPLE database on DB/2 UDB for LINUX s/390. We could connect while running LINUX (password issues from earlier had been resolved) but not through DB/2 Connect (Client Configuration). I recalled that I needed to establish a TCPIP node and the catalog the database at that node. I did the following (xx ... is the IP address):

catalog tcpip node db2devt remote server db2cdevt
    catalog database sample at node db2devt

I tried to connect and no go. I checked in the ETC file and realised that the port/service is called db2c_db2inst1 so I uncataloged everything and started over:

catalog tcpip node db2devt remote server db2c_db2inst1 catalog database sample at node db2devt

And I got the error :

SQL1337N The service "db2cdevt" was not found

This is the original name .. not the new one!

I even tried creating a new node by using the port number instead:

catalog tcpip node TCP0001 remote server 50001
    catalog database sample at node TCP0001

Same error. When I list node and databse directories, everything looks cool. I even went as far as uncataloging these new node and database and issued a DROP DATABASE SAMPLE in the hopes of re-issuing DB2SAMPL and I still get the SQL1337N error.

Any suggestions?

Thanks ...

Provided Answers: 11

hello Joel
    first : on target db : (linux390)
    get dbm cfg |grep SVCE --> check svcename -- this points to entry in /etc/services (db2... 50000/tcp)
    on client (or connect..)
    db2 catalog tcpip node xxx remote ipaddress server 50000
    xxx can be any name
    ipaddress can be ipadress or hostname if known on local client/connect
    server : can be port or entry from /etc/services (recommend to use port)
    this should work
    let me know how it goes..
    Best Regards, Guy Przytula
    Database Software Consultant
    Good DBAs are not formed in a week or a month. They are created little by little, day by day. Protracted and patient effort is needed to develop good DBAs.
    Spoon feeding : To treat (another) in a way that discourages independent thought or action, as by overindulgence.
    DB2 UDB LUW Certified V7-V8-V9-V9.7-V10.1-V10.5 DB Admin - Advanced DBA -Dprop..
    Information Server Datastage Certified

Hi Guy ...

Did all that and still no go. Ironically, the service db2c_db2inst1 is at port 50001 and when I do a netstat -l I see that it is listening, but I cannot get the Client COnfig to connect. Going to recheck all options on the client setup.

db2 terminate
    before you connect.

FYI, if you are at a client and give the service name, it is the service name of the port on the client and NOT on the server

Visit the new-look IDUG Website , register to gain access to the excellent content.