Unanswered: Changing table properties

Hello;

I wanted to change some table properties but received an error message that table properties cannot be changed because the table was linked to other tables. I went to the relationship window and deleted the relationship but still received the same message. I assume this is because the table has relationships within queries ? Is it possible to change the properties of a table without going in and canceling all the relationships within the queries?

Thanks…

Larry

I think you're out of luck with this one unless perhaps you create a function which would ultimately close all open objects, modify the table property or properties then reopen the objects you want. You will most likely though find that some queries may not function properly or give the results you expect after the change depending upon how extensive they are.

Curious...why would you want to do this?

Environment:
    Self Taught In ALL Environments.....And It Shows!

Hi CyberLynx;

Why... on one I wanted to add a couple of fields. On another I wanted to change the field size. Not what I would consider major changes, just minor enhancements.

Close all open objects... what do you mean by this? The tables are in a seperate database (backend), so no objects are open. However now that I think of it I might have been trying to make the changes from the front-end database. I'll try making the changes on the tables-only database, but I think I may have tried that already sometime back.

Thanks...

Larry

Quote Originally Posted by Larryg
    I wanted to change some table properties but received an error message that table properties cannot be changed because the table was linked to other tables. I went to the relationship window and deleted the relationship but still received the same message. I assume this is because the table has relationships within queries ? Is it possible to change the properties of a table without going in and canceling all the relationships within the queries?
    Hi Larry

Just a quick clarification.
    In the relationships window you define relationships. In queries you define joins. They are not the same thing. And the joins you have defined will have no bearing on this.

You should have received a different warning if doing this from the FE.
    Could you give the exact error message wording if you continue to have problems? Also - have you defined any of your fields as lookup fields within the table?
    Testimonial:
    pootle flump
    ur codings are working excelent.

Hello Pootle…

Yes, you are correct. When I attempt to open the table in design mode from the f/e db, I receive the following error: Table ‘tbl-name’ is a linked table with some properties that can’t be modified.

When I attempt to open the same table from within the b/e db, I receive the following error message: You can’t open the table ‘tbl_name’ for modification. A query or form bound to the table is open, you may not have permission to open this table in Design view, or another user has the table open.

However, when I attempted to open the table from the b/e, users were working in the database. It will be Sunday before I can make an attempt to try again without users working in the db. I will let you know what the outcome is. Thanks very much for your reply !

Larry

OK... here is the update. All users out of the database and accessed the b/e database and received the linking error. Deleted all the links and I was able to make the changes. However, on one change (increasing the field size from 50 to 60) the database (or maybe more correctly, the system) returned a error message of: "can't change the data type, there isn't enough disk space or memory". The b/e table db is about 110 meg in size. The network drive has a little over 7 gig free space. The local machine has 512 of RAM and 20 gig available on the local drive. Should I be getting this error?

Larry