Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Arrow Unanswered: how to make a license for my db

hello
    i was thinking about making my db a trial version for 30 days and then if the user enters the registeration number the entire database is available for the next one year

can anyone tell me how it could be done
    thnks

Quote Originally Posted by stocks159
    hello
    i was thinking about making my db a trial version for 30 days and then if the user enters the registeration number the entire database is available for the next one year

can anyone tell me how it could be done
    thnks
    I was looking for something to do the same thing, and the only thing I found is a program that cost $300, called KeyedAccess, by Peter's Software

I would like to know if anyone here has anything that does not cost $300.00
    Will Dove
    working hard is better then hardly working ...

you could code it for a license key, and then match what they input to a string in the code, if it matches then the code deletes itself and opens the DB, if it doesnt match then it just exits the DB.

Quote Originally Posted by jwalker343
    you could code it for a license key, and then match what they input to a string in the code, if it matches then the code deletes itself and opens the DB, if it doesnt match then it just exits the DB.
    Do you have an example fo this, I really don't know where to start with this. I do have some code that might help. but will need to get it off my laptop later.
    Will Dove

License key

I found this code somewhere (although it's in vb) but I think it'll do it against an MSAccess mdb also. I haven't fully tested this out yet (so PLEASE test it carefully!) but thought I'd upload it for you to take a look.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Expert Database Programming
    MSAccess since 1.0, SQL Server since 6.5, Visual Basic (5.0, 6.0)

Ill look at the code you posted in a second here is what i just came up with when i was taking a crap (always get the most genius ideas in the weirdest places)

Code:
    Dim license As Boolean
    Dim licensekey As String
    If license = False Then
        licensekey = InputBox("Please enter your license key")
        If licensekey = "license" Then
    PROBLEM IS HERE I DONT KNOW HOW TO SET THE VALUE

Code:
    Else
        MsgBox ("The license key you have entered is invalid.")
        DoCmd.Close
        End IfElse
    End If

Looks good, and simple but where do I put this code?
    Will Dove

Quote Originally Posted by pkstormy
    I found this code somewhere (although it's in vb) but I think it'll do it against an MSAccess mdb also. I haven't fully tested this out yet (so PLEASE test it carefully!) but thought I'd upload it for you to take a look.

I don't need to generate a code, I can do that by hand, I need a way to install a key code on a finished db
    Last edited by saileast; 08-08-06 at 05:26.
    Will Dove

I read this post a few days ago and thought about it, and I came up with an idea on how to get this to work using tables set up in the database with all of the license numbers and then comparing when the person enteres with what is in the table.
    So I started on this yesterday (got bored at work), so far it has a 30 day trial period, and I'm currently in the process of checking the tables to activate it for a set period.
    I will post it when I've finished, I reckon I'm about half-way through.

Right, it's pretty much finished. Let us know what you think.

They're may be one or two tweaks that will be required or alternate methods of doing sections of it to make it easier, but I'll leave that to you.

This db has a 30 day trial period, but it can be changed to whatever you like. It also incorporates diferent types of licenses (weekly, monthly, yearly) if you want it.

After the activation is up it will delete the values in the table and start with a fresh 30 day trial period, but it will not delete the values in the table when the trial period is up.

The only thing you really need to do is maintain the license numbers in the table. Delete the old ones and add new ones.

The best method of using this would be in an MDE database, so the values cannot be changed in the tables.

Anyway enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by KevCB226
    The best method of using this would be in an MDE database, so the values cannot be changed in the tables.
    Not true. You can link to tables inside an MDE and change the data. A snoop would eventually find the info relating to key codes and expiration dates.

I like to bury info like this in more obscure places. One of my favorite places is the tag property of controls. When there are thousands of controls in a particular project, many of which have tags that are actually used in the program, it's going to be a bit difficult to findthe one holding the back door password, for example, once compiled and stripped.

tc

Quote Originally Posted by tcace
    You can link to tables inside an MDE and change the data.
    Good point. I forgot that an MDE really only prevents changes to the design.

I like to bury info like this in more obscure places. One of my favorite places is the tag property of controls.
    Interesting, never thought of doing it like that. Which is why I have updated it, and now completly taken out the tblLicense table by using the tag properties. I tried to make it completly tableless but I couldn't store the calculated dates on the form without it resetting to a null value each time it is loaded up.

I like to bury info like this in more obscure places. One of my favorite places is the tag property of controls. When there are thousands of controls in a particular project, many of which have tags that are actually used in the program, it's going to be a bit difficult to findthe one holding the back door password, for example, once compiled and stripped.
    Nice - security by obsucation. I like to use that too. It just adds one extra layer.

I tried a search (ha! might as well have asked the toaster) on the forum for license threads. This is not the first and won't be the last. I know Izy and Mike have posted some stuff on this subject. I don't really know much - not something I've ever had to chase up.
    Testimonial:
    pootle flump
    ur codings are working excelent.

My evilness with passwords has to do with putting a string in a module with random characters and some "teaser" passwords that are wrong ... If that string is found and and hacked, what is the most likely passwords to be used??? That's right, those teaser ones ... Whereas the REAL password is hidden in plain sight ... The random sequence of numbers and letters ... embedded in there somewhere, in some order extracted ... Aren't I evil?

Ex: dklfhjKSDJHGU5THtoi57598kXCBNKHHGORI50589674080Idf jkghjytieugh9BeetleJuiceBachBeethovenHandelVivaldi FoustNewtonGrigGomer

Can you find my password?

As for hiding your license ... 1 technique I've not played with myself is hiding the license table as a system table ... Prepending the "_Sys" to the table name effectively hiding it from the Access table window. You'd have to write code to run thru the table collection to find it ... Nice and evil. Then you can write some code that taps that table for your 30 day trial and/or 30 usages ... You will want to store in that table the date 1st accessed with in order to prevent back dating to continue the free usage ... Again evil ...
    Back to Access ... ADO is not the way to go for speed ...

Don't forget that you can use a couple API modules (I believe they are posted in this forum) to add a key to the registry. Pick someplace common (the obvious places are hardest to find). You'd put the first use date there (formatted as a number, not an actual date) to further complicate cheating the activation and free trial period.

Of course some people will reset their system clock to cheat trial periods. I think it's a bit more robust if your trial period also limits the number of uses (which can also be stored in the registry).

This way, the standard piracy techniques of setting the system clock back (to skirt trial periods) and saving a copy of the original file to replant (to skirt limited use evals) don't work.

Btw, that's nice, Mike!

tc