Thread: Database Crash

Unanswered: Database Crash

Hi All,

What are the steps of recovering SQL Server 2000 database after it crashes?
    Is it documented somewhere?

Provided Answers: 11
    Depends on the crash. If the server was simply powered down, you can usually just power it on. If SQL Server will not start, then you have to go to the errorlog to see why. If a database will not recover.....

Let's say the database was accidentally deleted.

Quote Originally Posted by inka
    Let's say the database was accidentally deleted.
    Hope you have a backup...

You can...

...lookup up RESTORE in SQL BOL

...from enterprise manager, right click on the databases node, select all tasks and then 'Restore Database' (this assumes you had a backup to restore)

Regards,

hmscott
    Have you hugged your backup today?

Can we say there is a backup? Hypothetically, of course.

Provided Answers: 6
    these are my favorite posts. i can alsmost here the guy quivering and smell him sweating. I have only had one professional moment where I thought I lost everything. I thought I was going to die right there. But I put it back together.
    “If one brings so much courage to this world the world has to kill them or break them, so of course it kills them. The world breaks every one and afterward many are strong at the broken places. But those that will not break it kills. It kills the very good and the very gentle and the very brave impartially. If you are none of these you can be sure it will kill you too but there will be no special hurry.” Earnest Hemingway, A Farewell To Arms.

What about the database server loss? What are the steps then?

Provided Answers: 1
    Care to tell us what the hell is actually going on, or is it fun to watch us speculate?
    If it's not practically useful, then it's practically useless.

blindman
    www.chess.com: "sqlblindman"
    www.LobsterShot.blogspot.com

Code:
    update resume
    set experience = experience + ' Practiced disaster recovery'
    where recent_job = (select max(recent_job) from resume)
    As I said before, it depends on the crash. Still, the first step is going to be inventory. List out what you have (servers, backups, working software, etc.)

could this be homework?
    “If one brings so much courage to this world the world has to kill them or break them, so of course it kills them. The world breaks every one and afterward many are strong at the broken places. But those that will not break it kills. It kills the very good and the very gentle and the very brave impartially. If you are none of these you can be sure it will kill you too but there will be no special hurry.” Earnest Hemingway, A Farewell To Arms.

No it is not a homework and no it is not fun to watch you speculate. I need to document the steps on how to recover from the database server loss. All I need for you is to tell me if there is a documentation that would help with this. That's all.

inka,

Let's go back to your original question:
    Quote Originally Posted by inka
    Hi All,

What are the steps of recovering SQL Server 2000 database after it crashes?
    Is it documented somewhere?
    That's not very much information to go on. What kind of crash? Where to begin depends on what has gone wrong. If you look up at the stickies, somewhere in one of them it will say something like, "the quality of the answer which you receive will depend greatly on the quality of the information that you provide."

In short, you have provided almost nothing.

Use google, it's your friend. You can find tons of information on recovery procedures (not all of it is right, but a lot of it is very good). You can buy a book (I like SAM's DBA survival guide). Read SQL BOL. Search some more. Set up a test instance and practice recovery on your own. There are lots of things that you can do to be better informed.

Don't get mad. Just do your homework before asking others to do it for you.

Regards,

hmscott
    Have you hugged your backup today?

Disaster recovery is a big subject. You can start by reading BOL.

Contents -->Administering SQL Server-->Backing up and Restoring Databases.

Once you have backups you should move them to tape and then you need to move your tapes offsite and there are company's that specialize in this.

Maybe you want Failove Clustering as well. Log shipping or even replication to attain maximum up time.

Thank you.