Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: mkd file

Unanswered: mkd file

is there a way/program to directly append a .mkd file?

Provided Answers: 4
    What do you mean by "directly"?
    There are a number of interfaces to the PSQL / Btrieve engine including the BTrieve API, ODBC, JDBC, JCL, PDAC (VCL component), ActiveX, ADO.NET, and OLEDB.

What version of PSQL are you using?
    Mirtheil Software
    Certified Pervasive Developer
    Certified Pervasive Technician
    Custom Btrieve/VB development
    http://www.mirtheil.com
    I do not answer questions by email. Please post on the forum.

sorry, i'm not a programmer, and don't know much about programming. the software our company was using crashed and we can't add any information to our accounting software, they're trying to fix it, but i didn't know if there was any way for us to add info in the mean time.

In that case, there's no way to add data to the MKD file without an application of some kind. The record structure is not stored in the MKD file (it's in the application and/or DDF files). You'd also need to know the business logic in the application (for example product codes or other normalized data).
    You might be able to develop a replacement fairly quickly but I would suggest getting the accounting app fixed. It might be faster.
    Mirtheil Software

i have several ddf files for that database, they are as follows: user.ddf, rights.ddf, index.ddf, file.ddf, field.ddf i don't know if that makes this any easier or not

The DDFs will define the record layout but you'll still need a front end to access the data. With the DDFs, you could use ODBC and something like Access to link the tables but you'd still need to know the business logic of the application to make sure you're getting the right data in the right places.
    You really should get the application fixed.
    What's wrong with the application that it didn't come back up after the crash?
    Mirtheil Software

to make a long story short, we have small business server 97 running on the server and 32 work stations with various os's from nt4-me-xp sp2-2000, the damn server os hasn't been supported for years from microsoft but the owner refuses to upgrade. we were infected with a worm virus and lost most of the data on any local machines and a major portion on the server. after running erd commander a lot of the data was retrieved but there are still several problems. the sql server stopped running when they were in the middle of inputting data and since then nothing has worked correctly. at this point we are several weeks behind on accounting and at the quarters end. we are unable to print payroll checks and stuck between a rock and a hard place. at this point i'm looking for any alternative that will give us some type of use until this is corrected.

Like I said, you might be able to use Access to update data but unless you know how the data relates to all of the MKD files, you might cause problems.

Are you getting Pervasive errors from the accounting app? If so, which ones?
    Mirtheil Software

the most recent one says that the database server can not be located and the program immediately exits. but this is the 8th or 9th error that's come up after another was fixed. i tried reading the files through access using odbc and it asks for a password and user, but i tried all of our companies user names and passwords even our administrative one and none of them worked.

The message "the database server cannot be located" is usually indicative of a name resolution or drive mapping issue. Make sure you can ping the server by name and get the correct IP address. You might try some of the Pervasive tools (Function Executor, PCC) to see if any of them work on your data. They will also give better errors.
    As far as using ODBC, what happens if you leave the username/password blank? Can you access the data then? If not, does the application have a username/password? Have you tried those?
    Mirtheil Software

we went through the whole list with redoing the mappings, changing the servers ip, trying automatic settings then manual with different numbers, nothing seems to make a difference, all of the other network apps work fine, even our access 2000 based billing program. i tried leaving the password and user blank, there still wasn't any access to the database file. no one set a password for the program other than for a login, but i tried all of those. do you want me to send you a copy of one of the mkd files and the associated ddf files?

It would be better to put them on an FTP site somewhere if you want me to look at them. If you put them on an FTP site, please ZIP them so they aren't too big.
    Can you use the Pervasive Function Executor to open the files (MKD file) or the Pervasive Control Center to open the tables? Do they give any errors? If so, what are they?
    Mirtheil Software

i could host them on my ftp if that's easier. i'll put them up monday and set a user and password for you. i don't know anything about sql, where would i find those apps?

Function Executor and PCC are both in the PVSW\BIN directory. Function Executor is named "WBEXEC32.EXE" and PCC is "PCC.EXE"
    Mirtheil Software

sorry about the wait in reply, i contacted the company for the password and user name to get into the files, i can view/edit the data through pcc.exe and pervasive data manager. how can i search for somthing that is in the grid results. for example we have 29,872 lines of data in the grids, is there any way to find a specific line by knowing a value that is keyed in that line. when i close the pervasive programs does it save the additions i'm making automatically so that when we get the program running again everything we're inputting will be displayed?